QDM at risk

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
deermaster1

QDM at risk

Postby deermaster1 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:46 pm

I am glad to see all these QDM signs up over woods all through wisconsin, but three years ago I got some new land in iola, WI. Thinking that it would be good land because the buyer told me that all the neighbors practiced QDM and there were signs all over the neighbors woods. When the season finally came around it was clear that there version of QDM was not QDM at all. Which has lead me to believe that QDM has become a land marketing tool more than a practice to keep the deer herd healthy. This has taught me all one important thing though is that to get the most out of QDM I believe that you need to have meeting with your neighbors around you and talk about what the herd looks like. From there you must chose how much each land owner can take for does and how old of bucks you want to try and shoot in that area. I think to man make excuses for not shooting big deer. If you do the work to get the most out QDM you will be able to shoot those giant bucks that you see on tv, but it all comes down to you and your neighbors being on the same page.

Gafrage

Re: QDM at risk

Postby Gafrage » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:22 pm

Where around Iola do you hunt? I hunt directly North of Iola, not many practice QDM around me, but that's fine with me (even though I do). Keeps me interested and keeps me in the field. I see plenty of bucks. Many hunters don't watch the wind/scent, etc...and those big bucks move miles and miles during the rut. I feel confident even though I'm not in a huge QDM area, I still reap the rewards from QDM from all around NW Waupaca County, NE Portage Count, SE Marathon County and SW Shawano County. If you want serious QDM, hit up the Tigerton/Big Falls/Marion area...But your Iola area is still plenty fine if you ask me.
It's good for the soul when there's not a soul in sight.

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management