Doe to Buck ratio?

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
antlerking69

Doe to Buck ratio?

Postby antlerking69 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:51 am

I have 20 acres of nothern Wisconsin deep woods. Food plots, bedding areas, and a sanctuary. Going over my notes for the last 6 years my doe to buck ratio is never near the numbers i've seen. I have 2 trail cameras set up to monitor deer. Last years numbers were 8 Bucks to 4 Does plus 3 fawns. That seems to be about the same as the last 5 years. This years numbers are 8 Bucks to 2 Does plus 1 fawn. Is there some thing i'm doing wrong? Right? I forgot to add i do supplementally feed in the winter & have a mineral site in the spring & summer. I have neighbors with some flat open ground that make good fawning grounds. I also pop acouple of coyotes every year. Any & all input is appreciated! Thanks!

rthomas4

Re: Doe to Buck ratio?

Postby rthomas4 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:29 pm

I'd be willing to bet that you have more does and fawns than you are aware of. With 4 bucks to each doe, the bucks would have gone looking somewhere else for does. Prime ratios would of course be 1-1, but in reality most managed areas will have 2 or 3 does to every buck.....and that includes doe fawns. This year my ratio had gotten skewed towards too many does and fawns, so I killed several younger does while passing on more bucks. According to my trail cameras and what I've seen while hunting, I still need to kill another 3 or 4 does in order to get my ratio back to what it should be.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management