Doe to Buck ratio?

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
antlerking69

Doe to Buck ratio?

Postby antlerking69 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:51 am

I have 20 acres of nothern Wisconsin deep woods. Food plots, bedding areas, and a sanctuary. Going over my notes for the last 6 years my doe to buck ratio is never near the numbers i've seen. I have 2 trail cameras set up to monitor deer. Last years numbers were 8 Bucks to 4 Does plus 3 fawns. That seems to be about the same as the last 5 years. This years numbers are 8 Bucks to 2 Does plus 1 fawn. Is there some thing i'm doing wrong? Right? I forgot to add i do supplementally feed in the winter & have a mineral site in the spring & summer. I have neighbors with some flat open ground that make good fawning grounds. I also pop acouple of coyotes every year. Any & all input is appreciated! Thanks!

rthomas4

Re: Doe to Buck ratio?

Postby rthomas4 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:29 pm

I'd be willing to bet that you have more does and fawns than you are aware of. With 4 bucks to each doe, the bucks would have gone looking somewhere else for does. Prime ratios would of course be 1-1, but in reality most managed areas will have 2 or 3 does to every buck.....and that includes doe fawns. This year my ratio had gotten skewed towards too many does and fawns, so I killed several younger does while passing on more bucks. According to my trail cameras and what I've seen while hunting, I still need to kill another 3 or 4 does in order to get my ratio back to what it should be.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, , ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL still flying the Stars and Bars!

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management