throw n gro food plot

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
tcross1

throw n gro food plot

Postby tcross1 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:28 pm

I planted this stuff and his has grown in great but it seems the deer haven't touched it I also have corn at this spots too. Do deer prefer corn over the food plot?

EatDeer

Re: throw n gro food plot

Postby EatDeer » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:19 am

That's the problem with food plots...if the deer have 1000 arces of ag fields in the area.... the deer don't need them plots to survive.

The best advice I ever received to improve my hunting area was to seek out the limiting factor, such as, if they don't have protective cover plant it, and they will come.
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

alaska_av8r

Postby alaska_av8r » Sat May 02, 2015 5:51 pm

Also consider timing your plots to peak when the ag fields are harvested, then you should begin to see some traffic.

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Mon May 04, 2015 10:29 am

I've found out from years of planting food plots that it's also a good idea to stay away from the national branded plot seed and go with seeds produced and sold by local farms or feed and seed dealers. It doesn't make sense to plant corn on a food plot if everyone around you is farming corn. Also, planting taller growing plants such as hemp, sorghum, and Egyptian grass may help attract deer to the peas and soybeans you have planted in the plots since those taller growing plants provide a sense of security for the deer as they browse on the other stuff mixed into the plot. Personally I like to plant a variety with various maturity rates in my plots so that they provide a constant source of attractant species that help keep the deer coming back.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, , ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL still flying the Stars and Bars!

Wesologist17

Postby Wesologist17 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:43 pm

Agreed...stay away from the branded food plot, sometimes those bags are filled with species that are no better than weeds you are trying to kill (ex.ryegrass). If your planting throw and grow your probably planting a small food plot. You CANNOT go wrong with planting white clover (durana, ladino) into a small food plot. Easy to maintain with herbicides without a mix of species. If you are wanting a kill plot for later in the season your gonna have to start mixing.

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management