Last day buck??

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
spottedskunk

RE: Last day buck??

Postby spottedskunk » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:30 pm

ORIGINAL: msbadger

BH21 ...I should have clarified...for as I've stated in the past ...down at camp if it's a doe and I have the tags it's going down...here at home it 's the buck that would hit the dirt ...We've been...tagged to death here and now again this year will be another hard hitter....The quote I had was from the newest issue of White tail instutute magazine...ppl need to know their own areas and thats not just your land but the couple of sq. miles around you ...inorder to make any decisions...

I try to take 3 does off my uncles's farm, its over 4,000 acres. Then on my family's 45 acres I take two does.

wiqdma

Postby wiqdma » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:17 pm

No I would not.  I think as an experienced hunter I don't need to "kill" a buck for the sake of killing something.  My rule is if it gets my blood pumping it must be a shooter. Usually this means something 140 or better. The mentality of shooting something "smaller" because it is the end of the season is one that needs to be changed.  If it is not something you would shoot on day one..... then you should not be shooting it the last day either.

Goose

Postby Goose » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:34 pm

ORIGINAL: wiqdma

The mentality of shooting something "smaller" because it is the end of the season is one that needs to be changed.  If it is not something you would shoot on day one..... then you should not be shooting it the last day either.

I say you shoot what ever you are happy with, as long as it is legal of course.
The mentality of telling other people what to shoot is what needs to be changed. Who are we to judge what other people are happy with? It all comes down to a personal choice and we as fellow hunters have to respect that.
Just my 2 cents....
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:24 pm

msbadger, couldn't have said it any better.  i just got the new W.I. mag in the mail too but haven't had a chance to read it yet.  but yes, just cause the DNR gives you 10 tags does not mean you have to go shoot 10 deer.  know your area and the area around you, then make an educated decision!
QDM!

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:44 pm

ORIGINAL: Goose

ORIGINAL: wiqdma

The mentality of shooting something "smaller" because it is the end of the season is one that needs to be changed.  If it is not something you would shoot on day one..... then you should not be shooting it the last day either.

I say you shoot what ever you are happy with, as long as it is legal of course.
The mentality of telling other people what to shoot is what needs to be changed. Who are we to judge what other people are happy with? It all comes down to a personal choice and we as fellow hunters have to respect that.
Just my 2 cents....

You're right on Goose!
QDM!

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:43 am

I agree with what Goose said, it's your own personal decision if it makes you happy shoot it, as long as it's legal.  Everyone is different with different goals.      
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:13 pm

Like many of you, my buck harvest goal is on a sliding scale. I have a general idea of the age class I am looking to hold out for, but there are factors that can alter that for me as I hunt.

Does the stage in the season play a role in that decision? No, not for me. It is more about how I am reading the herd and my mood. Given an any sex tag in the late season and a poor chance of killing the buck I had hoped for, I am likely to shoot another doe or eat the tag.

wiqdma

Postby wiqdma » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:10 am

Don't take me wrong.... telling people what to shoot is not what I am saying.  But educating people on deer biology and age structure etc..... is where it is at. It is hard to believe that in this day and age of mass media, we still have the number of "hunters" out there who see it as more of a "kill" than a hunt. This is sad. In my years of travelling as a professional speaker it has always amazed me the true lack of deer knowledge the general public has.  This is an area where I think the youth of today has improved on.  Most kids who hunt understand better than the generation before them.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:56 am

OK...heres the apology up front....it's been so quiet and peaceful...and I just know I'm stepping into it...

The thing I like about this forum is on the most part it's just hunters that share differant experiances and share those real world experiance with others....giving others the chance to sort through and find what may work for them because......

Deer...turkey ..what ever are not stamped out like sugar cookies....they don't grow... herd up... act or react the same per region across the country....in the industry of deer hunting ...we've all seen the ...lets say quiet removal of ideas...due to technical advances...happens alot...and sometimes we as hunters should really learn to take what we hear and read...with some grain of salt and go to a hunting forum ...any hunting forum and to compare it with what is actually being seen and done ...in the real world
 To assume that because your a public speaker on a subject that the hunting population needs to be educated to your reality...line of thinking  is just arrogant....
OK have at it...said my peace

Goose

Postby Goose » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:10 am

Most of my best education has come from veteran hunters.....and Ill take that over listening to some guy speak at a convention any day. Don't get me wrong, I attend a lot of seminars and do enjoy them, but I would rather talk to the old neighbor next door to us and listen to what he has to say.
Times are changing to be sure but we cant forget where we came from. I often think (and it may be wrong) that todays young hunters think they can read the latest issue of Quality whitetails or whatever and go out and manage for 4.5 year old bucks next season. In the real hunting world, it does not work that way. It takes years of committed conservation and theres nobody better to talk to about that stuff than an old farmer or hunter who has tried and done so many different things. The best part about it is that they actually are out there every day and you get to learn from they're experiences.
Ill take that any day!
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

PreviousNext

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management