Last day buck??

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
Swandog09

RE: Last day buck??

Postby Swandog09 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:46 am

This has been a interesting thread.  It is amazing to see how a simple question of would you take a "young", "lesser", "small" buck at the end of the season turns into a discussion on educating the youth on deer population and knowing what the deer herd make up is for several miles in your area.

I believe what the question is getting at... is do you have the will power to lay off the trigger if your tag is open and your looking at a buck which may not be a trophy. 

To answer this question truthfully I think it depends on what stage you are as a hunter. 

Have you every shot a buck that was bigger than what your look at know?  Have you seen or do you know that there are bigger bucks in your area?  Are you the type that feels you failed if you don't get a deer each season?

I personally am at the stage that I could let him walk knowing that there are no guarantees that I will every see that buck again.  I also know that if this senario was ten years ago that buck would most likely be on the ground.

Great topic and thoughts

wiqdma

Postby wiqdma » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:12 am

Swandog09 is right... we are off topic. I am not arrogant and I am sorry if my post led people to believe that I am. I am a passionate hunter just like all the rest of us on this site. I just know that hunting is better now in many areas than it was 15 years ago and it is because of education. I am just as proud of my first buck (6 point buck)  than any of the twenty-some so-called "trophies" I have on the wall. 

JPH

Postby JPH » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:22 pm

ORIGINAL: wiqdma

Swandog09 is right... we are off topic.

I disagree. I think this topic has progressed naturally into a little deeper discussion than a simple "yes or no". That is why we come here.

I also wish to see more education in the hands of all deer hunters. But as Goose indicated, most of us learn more from the relationships we build and the trial and error of our own experiences. I've never attended a seminar but I read a lot and I spend a fair amount of time in the field. I like to target older bucks and I guess I am somewhat successful in that area (although I am far from twentysomething "trophies" on the wall). But the more I learn about deer and deer hunting, the more I am convinced that terms such as "quality" or "lesser" buck demean the experience.

I think we are right on topic.

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:03 pm

ORIGINAL: wiqdma
  My rule is if it gets my blood pumping it must be a shooter. Usually this means something 140 or better.

I'm not trying to pick on you but that line concerns me some, maybe it's because I have hunted less than 10 years in my life and I'm not used to seeing a lot of deer on every hunt. But my blood gets pumping real good if I even hear a deer in the woods. It doesn't matter to me if its a fawn, doe, or a buck mature, or not mature. Sorry I just feel bad for ya if you don't get that feeling for any deer but a 140 or better...sorry if this post was inappropriate.
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

Bowtechian

Postby Bowtechian » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:28 pm

Good honest post Demo.

I'm heading into my 30th year hunting, & I hope I never lose that adrenaline rush & pounding heart when deer are coming into range. That's one of the main reasons I have a passion for hunting.
Dave M.

spottedskunk

Postby spottedskunk » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:42 pm

ORIGINAL: Swandog09

This has been a interesting thread.  It is amazing to see how a simple question of would you take a "young", "lesser", "small" buck at the end of the season turns into a discussion on educating the youth on deer population and knowing what the deer herd make up is for several miles in your area.

I believe what the question is getting at... is do you have the will power to lay off the trigger if your tag is open and your looking at a buck which may not be a trophy. 

To answer this question truthfully I think it depends on what stage you are as a hunter. 

Have you every shot a buck that was bigger than what your look at know?  Have you seen or do you know that there are bigger bucks in your area?  Are you the type that feels you failed if you don't get a deer each season?

I personally am at the stage that I could let him walk knowing that there are no guarantees that I will every see that buck again.  I also know that if this senario was ten years ago that buck would most likely be on the ground.

Great topic and thoughts

The reason I brung this up is to see if you all practice QDM. If you don't thats cool, did not mean to step on anyone's toes here and make them feel like they should take mature bucks only. Thats the way I hunt and always will. Its the trophy in the eyes of the beholder, I support deer hunting in every way shape or form. I hope I didn't upset anyone, I thought this was a great topic to bring up.

Swandog09

Postby Swandog09 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:04 pm

As I stated at the end of my first post on this thread, I think this topic is a very good one and it is great to see that everyone has strong feelings on this subject.   I didn't mean to imply that we had gone "off topic".  I just thought it was interesting the direction the thread went.   

To me there is no right or wrong answer to this question and that is why it makes for a great topic.  It all depends on how you were brought up as hunter and what your experiences have  been (education if you will). 

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:10 pm

Thanks Bowtech

I'm glad someone else feels the same. I couldn't of said it better, there's nothing quite like seeing that deer coming into range no matter what sex or size it is! Once I don't have the rush when I see any type of deer, take my bow and guns, it wouldn't be worth it to me anymore.
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

JPH

Postby JPH » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:14 am

ORIGINAL: spottedskunk

The reason I brung this up is to see if you all practice QDM. If you don't thats cool, did not mean to step on anyone's toes here and make them feel like they should take mature bucks only. Thats the way I hunt and always will. Its the trophy in the eyes of the beholder, I support deer hunting in every way shape or form. I hope I didn't upset anyone, I thought this was a great topic to bring up.

'scool spotedskunk. I agree that this is a good conversation and I think you are bringing a lot into it. But I want to challenge you with a few questions.

You state that you "take mature bucks only". How mature are we talking here? Earlier you said that bucks in the 3 year range are on your "hit list". Biologically speaking, 3.5 year old bucks are not fully mature, so how and why do you arrive at this decision?

Secondly you said, "Thats the way I hunt and always will." I don't know how old you are but that could be a long time. Could you envision a time when you might change and take a younger buck, stop taking bucks or hold out for an older one? I can think of a lot of scenarios that would alter my buck harvest goals.

Finally (and understand that I am QDMer myself), if someone chooses to kill bucks of a younger age class than what you target, are they automatically no longer doing QDM?

tnt1960

Postby tnt1960 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:02 am

I believe in the saying, " If he`s a shooter the last day, he`s a shooter the first day also." Take whatever is legal and makes you happy! To each his own!
You can`t grill it till you kill it. For great sales/service, go to http://www.oneidabows.net/

PreviousNext

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management