Anyone a member of QDM?

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
Goose

RE: Anyone a member of QDM?

Postby Goose » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:14 am

ORIGINAL: stumpsitter66

Have never been a member. They do have some good information but the problem I have in general is that it basically caters to people who own lots of land. Yes the concept and group are two different things but if you look at their underwriters it is mostly big logging outfits machinery dealers etc that would appeal to the guy who has too much time and money on his hands. You really don't get much for your 30 bucks other than six copies of a magazine. Deer & Deer is a much better value IMO.

Stump

Not to argue with you but you stated that you have never been a member but yet in the same post you say they cater to large landowners and you don't get much for your $30?

As a member I can say that they do include the smaller landowner and offer some great information for them.
Thats a common misconception regarding QDMA. If a person reads their corner stones and follows their work it becomes quite clear that they are a great organization that is doing alot for deer and the land they inhibit.
Just my 2 cents
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

kribbz

Postby kribbz » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:17 am

Hi, my name is kribbz and i'm not a member of QDMA.  Sorry I've had way to much coffee this morning. 

I enjoy watching the show and have done so many times.  i've not used their site before but it looks like something I would enjoy.  I think I just might have to join. 

jacannon63

Postby jacannon63 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:00 am

I have been a member of QDMA for a few years now. I read the forum everyday just as I do this one. Both have tons of good information,but I believe that the QDMA forum is more technical. Just my 2 cents...
Stump sittin since 1981

hunt4ever

Postby hunt4ever » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:03 am

Stump, I just weighted in on this subject, ref. my 10:04am message today. 
Although you are right that there are some QDM members that have "too much time and money on their hands", the vast majority, (95%+) of members I have met are good old red-neck boys & girls like myself.  I grew up in the woods of Maine and as I have heard said: "you are a product of your environment".  IMO I don't believe in general that the organization caters to high rollers and people who own lots of land.
I agree D&DH is a great value, but also feel I get a lot for my $30 when considering what I gain by getting a better understanding of Whitetail behavior and developing a greater appreciation of same plus the "Quality Whitetails" magazine. Tom Mac

I would be unstoppable...If I could just get going!

hunt4ever

Postby hunt4ever » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:07 am

Jake S., I mentioned in my 10:04am message today about the many misconceptions about QDM.  In addition to the common misconception you noted, another one is that there are rigid rules that have to be followed and a lot of expensive requirements in order to establish a QDM program. Not true!  As noted in previous message, chose those QDM concepts that fits which include $ costs considerations.  Case in point with my QDM program, one of the most common requirements in QDM programs is antler restrictions and protection of yearling bucks.  However, our group as a general rule decided not to go with antler restrictions and shot anything with horns.  I would like to see restrictions, but others decided that it wasn't what they wanted.  Currently, most of us don't use our tags on spikes and small 4-pointers. I suspect that we will be protecting yearlings in the near future as we start to see more mature bucks on the property.  I am using  3 D40 Moultrie cameras plus a 35mm and we are seeing more and more mature bucks, i.e +2-1/2c bucks.  Thats my 2 cents worth, Tom Mac

I would be unstoppable...If I could just get going!

kribbz

Postby kribbz » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:21 am

i am now a member!

QDMAMAN

Postby QDMAMAN » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:58 am

I've been a member for 8 years now and with all the banquets I go to I'm paid up until 2013.[:)]
I'm a charter member of the Eaton County Branch and the Michigan State Chapter and served as President of both.  I also interviewed for our RD job and turned it down.
Although there are some members of the QDMA that ar affluent you wouldn't know it if you spent a day in the woods with them.  It's been my experience that excellence begets excellence and these folks recognize that the QDMA has more to offer them than they have to offer it.
To say that the QDMA has nothing to offer the hunter that doesn't own property is misinformed.  If your only use of the whitetail deer is to pursue, and to kill it, then perhaps the QDMA isn't for you but...If you are interested in all aspects of it's biology, habitat, habits, health, and why it's important to maintain healthy populations in a fast paced world, consider becoming a member.
Through support of the organization you can also have an impact on how non hunters deal with the whitetail.  QDMA has developed a program called "Living with the whitetail deer" that can, and is, presented to neighborhood groups in metro and rural areas where deer seasons aren't open.  This program helps EDUCATE those good people and helps them to realize the value that hunting has in sustaining healthy populations.
Our branch has had the good fortune to be able to raise some substantial funds.  With the funds we raise we support a free venison processing program for anyone that wants to donate their venison (member or not).  This venison is donated to the local food pantry and consumed, more than likely, by non QDMA members. 
We also send kids to summer outdoor camps, support our local FFA, pay tuition for kids to take hunter safety, etc..  Very little of our funds are spent on members.
If there is a branch of the QDMA near you plan on attending their annual fundraising banquet.  With the price of the ticket your membership is included along with a great meal.

Big T

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:05 am

I am not an official memeber.  I certainly buy into the idea of QDM.  If I had control over my own land, I'd certainly implement it.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:35 am

ORIGINAL: QDMAMAN

If there is a branch of the QDMA near you plan on attending their annual fundraising banquet.  With the price of the ticket your membership is included along with a great meal.

Okay, as I said before, when I was a member, I limited my participation to reading the magazine and posting on the forum. I am a small scale QDMer but I just could not get motivated to renew.

Maybe if I attended a banquet I could find that motivation. How can I find one in my area?

QDMAMAN

Postby QDMAMAN » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:37 am

ORIGINAL: JPH
Maybe if I attended a banquet I could find that motivation. How can I find one in my area?

JPH,
Here's the link to the QDMA site where the different braches are located in Iowa.
http://www.qdma.org/branches/branch_list.asp?state=Iowa
There may not be a branch close to you but we're ALWAYS looking for dedicated volunteers to start branches in their local areas.  Of course there's a bit of a time commitment, but there's few things I've done with my time that are as worthwhile as volunteering with the QDMA.  The caliber of the people and the friendships I've fostered being associated with this organization can't be measured with dollars or time.

Big [font=arial]T[/font]

PreviousNext

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management