Anyone a member of QDM?

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
northernVT

RE: Anyone a member of QDM?

Postby northernVT » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:20 pm

In my opinion JPH, I would join closer to your home. Not for the voluteering aspect, but for the events apesct. I would hate to have to drive an hour away for any field days, banquets, fund raisers etc... that go on when you have a chapter that much closer to your home. Not that they wouldn't let you attend an event if you belonged to another branch, but you would be better notified of events that happen in the branch you belong to.

My greatest pride when I was really active in QDMA was the kids activities and all they we did for kids and hunting. That in it's self was more than worth the $30. Not to mention all the people I met doing eveything. I made a lot of new good friends. People who share the same passion as I do.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:50 am

Gotta tell ya I do more QLM...this is the result of letting it walk....

="http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/madbadger/IMG_0313.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a>

="http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/madbadger/IMG_0315.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a>

I let him walk several years ago on opening a.m. of gun ...5 min later BAM!....then in jan. I find him 70yrds from where the neighbor had shot him...most of body gone but head and rack under water....yanked off his head and it's been hanging in a tree weathering since...took this long to be able to pull rest of hide off...Well he's been a reminder of what happens in high density hunting areas...the guy never left his stand to see if he'd even hit him[:@]....down at camp...he may have made it but here low chances for anything with a rack this size

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:34 am

ORIGINAL: msbadger

....down at camp...he may have made it but here low chances for anything with a rack this size

Low chances get lower every time a hunter elects not to impose standards. If you let him walk, he at least has some chance.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:51 am

I echo those comments JPH.  I used to think the same thing.  Our two properties are 80 and 40 collectively, so small enough to not be able to hold and the deer to just that area.  I used to be like, well, if I don't shoot him someone else will.  I've since gotten past that and let the ones that are 2.5 or smaller go.  I'm slowly starting to see bigger and bigger bucks on my properties....Have other hunters shot the smaller ones that I've passed up?  Sure.  There's nothing you can do about it.
QDM!

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:54 am

Yeah, and dont get me wrong, it can be really tough! I have seen a LOT of deer step off my hunting property and get wacked. It's tough to take.

And I do not mean to imply what someone else's standards should be. I have come to think that on tiny parcels like ours, holding out for a 2.5 may be a very legit goal.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:16 am

JHP..don't get me wrong...just that one really burnt....to have the guy not even look for him...[&o]..I still let them walk with in reason....the 6 I took this year was real sm but it was the first rifle deer and now that is out of the way....year before last several deer walked and last year a few due to just not comfortable distance or light ...it can still be legal hunting and in the later months... in not so nice weather... be too dark...the guy did feel bad when I told him...that will be a think twice before sitting tight...we don't keep bucks on the land ...they migrate in from other areas...I think most of the year they migrate up and down the hill through the water shed..or across the hill between farm lands a few miles in general...the doe are the ones that stick to this area.....QLM...feed the doe and keep them close ...buck show up in the fall 

QDMAMAN

Postby QDMAMAN » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:17 am

ORIGINAL: msbadger

...we don't keep bucks on the land ...they migrate in from other areas...I think most of the year they migrate up and down the hill through the water shed..or across the hill between farm lands a few miles in general...the doe are the ones that stick to this area.....QLM...feed the doe and keep them close ...buck show up in the fall 

msbadger,
A lot of guys feel that their properties are only suited for doe groups.  What I have learned, and am continuing to learn, is that most guys don't see their properties in a more productive way.
I have only 19 acres in heavily hunted mid Michigan and my home sits in the middle creating somewhat of a "break" between the 2 halves.  I designated the west half as sanctuary (+-8 acres) and was content to have it used by 1-2 doe groups.  What I have found is that I can intensely manipulate that acreage by building multiple bedding areas, both large and small (does vs. bucks), create screening cover around my perimeter for security, and provide opportunities for bucks to do the things bucks do when they're on their feet.
What you'll find is that the does will tend to want to bed closer to the food than the bucks, but, sometimes 40-50 feet (with the proper seperation) is all that is neccesary.  I'm really only interested in giving them the things they require during daylite hours, cover, security, a snack, recreation, and water.  After dark I encourage them to dine at the neighbors.

Big [font=arial]T[/font]
"Fear is interest paid on a debt you may never owe" - Unknown

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:41 am

I was a QDMA member about 5-6 years ago.  But at the time the stuff in the magazine was beyond where I was wanting to be at the time, being new to deer hunting and land management.

Now that I've had a few more years to hunt and play on our farm, I may join again.  I still check in on the forums now and then, but after they went through that period where the forums were down all the the time I kind of forgot about them.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

CaribouHunter

Postby CaribouHunter » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:36 am

What a great thread about QDM and the QDMA!  I've been a member and volunteer with QDMA for over 10 years now and have found it to be one of the purest conservation organizations I've ever been involved with.  It's great to see so many dedicated QDMA members on this site, WOW!  For those who are sitting on the fence, jump on board and become part of the organization, I believe that you will prosper greatly and the QDMA will be stronger with your help.  The founders of the QDM movement and the QDMA, Joe Hamilton, Murphy Ray, and Al Brothers, are truely remarkable, visionary men.  The QDMA National Convention is in Louisville, KY, July 23-26.  Try and make it if you can.  Take care,  CaribouHunter

hunt4ever

Postby hunt4ever » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:33 am

I couldn't agree more with Everyday Hunter 4/2/09 post, he is rate on.  I have been a QDMA member for about 4 years and also attended the Philadelphia National Convention.  I wish to add to his comments: (1) QDMA advocates many principles and one should use those that makes the most sense.  Do those that match your situation to achieve "Better Deer. Better to Hunting." QDMA motto.  (2) I have gone thru the QDMA"s Level I & II Deer Steward Certification courses and NEVER heard anyone say that you have to do this or that to do QDM, i.e. QDMers should "mix and match", and (3) A lot of people use some QDM principles without ever hearing about QDMA.  Due to the many QDM mis-conceptions, I find it easier to sell the concepts to others without the labels and selling the results.  I am a grandfather of four and started hunting in Maine in the mid-50's and found that words and labels are a real differcult sell to my generation.

Quoting Everyday Hunter, "QDM principles allow an area to produce healthy deer and healthy habitat, which benefits all species. And it allows bucks to exhibit the potential that bucks of that area have. But with all the misconceptions people have about deer, the QDMA has lots of work to do." Amen  Tom Mac

PreviousNext

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management