Do You Think the QDM Bubble has Burst?

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
stillhunter

RE: Do You Think the QDM Bubble has Burst?

Postby stillhunter » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:21 am

When practiced for the right reasons by conservation minded people on their own property QDM can no doubt be a satisfying and positive experience. What happens and we have all seen it, is the movement becomes as Woods Walker put it well "co-opted by the Antler Nazi's". These people are not satisfied with practicing it on their own. They feel the need to force it on everyone in order to achieve their selfish antler driven agenda and goals. This is the "craziness" that I referred to in my earlier post. Hunting for deer should remain as much of a personal choice and preference as possible. Deciding which buck I choose to shoot is based on a number of factors which can change from season to season. The bubble may burst because of the way that QDM is being distorted into something that is bad for the sport and being pushed like a big government program onto all.

Everyday hunter... It appears you to like to pass some sort of higher judgement on people who provide input on this forum. Giving some the thumbs up and some the thumbs down in a methodical way. Just an observation. As for CA I have been a big fan of his going way back and have attended many of his talks and have many of his books because I value his knowledge. One of my favorites is "A Guide to Adirondack Deer Hunting". I agree that he has evolved his thinking on some topics which is great. I have not been comfortable with articles where he speaks out against things like antler worship when it is in part the result of a lot of the content and promotion within the industry today including articles and ads in D&DH. This kind a addiction is a real problem and causes QDM to be distorted into something bad but we need to understand that some of the content in D&DH and other publications is contributing to it even if it is indirect and unintentional.

Just some thoughts,
Stillhunter.

Jon H.

Postby Jon H. » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:53 pm

No I don't think the bubble has burst. I fill QDM will help everyone to grow bigger and healthier deer. Down in Louisiana some people are putting restrictions on there leases and private property. Even the state is doing the same on some public land. Now we are harvesting bigger bucks! But on my family proporty I let my son harvest one legal deer and one mature buck. If at the end of the season he hasn't harvested another deer, i'll let him take a doe. My son and I feel, any deer harvested by him is a trophy! Myself, I'll harvest one or two does and a mature buck if possible. Even though the property next to ours does what they want, I feel nobody is right or wrong. So, just do want you need to do. But just remember, if you do what you always do, you will get what you always get!

stillhunter

Postby stillhunter » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:41 pm

Hi Jon,

Thanks for sharing your approach. I am new here as I see you are. Welcome.

If I owned my own hunting property I would probably have a similar approach to yours but I hunt mainly on State Land in NY. Sometimes in Western NY where deer numbers are higher and sometimes in the Adirondack mountains where a buck per square mile common. Each area is very different and so my approach is different depending on where I am and the time left in the season. Funny that I prefer hunting the big woods more each year even though I stand a much greater chance of going without a deer. Since I do not get that many days to hunt I have to make my decisions carefully. If I get too selective I will be eating ground beef instead of venison steak.

Stillhunter.

Goose

Postby Goose » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:18 pm

We all are bring good points to the board. It seems as those who are practicing the "conservation" part of QDM are on the right track with the majority of people and those who claim the deer on their property as "theirs" are on the wrong track. Hopefully the latter part is peaked and on its way down.
Maybe more people are becoming more educated and looking at it as conservation and not an organization. That would be fine by me. I personally would prefer if the term conservation came back and overtook the QDM craze. I think most people who are really practicing QDM are actually conservationists under a different hat. Maybe that would weed out some of the QDM nazi's.
Then again maybe not...
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

swamp ghost

Postby swamp ghost » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:58 pm

ORIGINAL: Goose

We all are bring good points to the board. It seems as those who are practicing the "conservation" part of QDM are on the right track with the majority of people and those who claim the deer on their property as "theirs" are on the wrong track. Hopefully the latter part is peaked and on its way down.
Maybe more people are becoming more educated and looking at it as conservation and not an organization. That would be fine by me. I personally would prefer if the term conservation came back and overtook the QDM craze. I think most people who are really practicing QDM are actually conservationists under a different hat. Maybe that would weed out some of the QDM nazi's.
Then again maybe not...

Great post

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:56 pm

I agree that the basic principles of QDM are reasonable, but  like most ideas, when the radical left and right give their interpretation, things get muddied. I think that what is best for the deer herd is also what is best for us hunters.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:01 pm

I think most people who are really practicing QDM are actually conservationists under a different hat....

Yes, QDM properly practiced = conservation.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Jon H.

Postby Jon H. » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:03 pm

Thanks for the welcome stillhunter, I totally under stand were your coming from. It wasn't to long ago, a nice six point was a good buck down here.
Now I have seen eight points coming off hunting leases with sixteen to twenty inches. But on public land you always hear of one are two really big deer. But most people shoot anything. If they don't, its like you said, they have too eat ground meat. I like to hunt public land, to me it makes you a better hunter! Like I said, you do what you have to do. Remember a trophy is in the eye of the beholder. Hang in there and have fun.

JPH

Postby JPH » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:36 am

ORIGINAL: Everyday Hunter

I think most people who are really practicing QDM are actually conservationists under a different hat....

Steve

I agree Steve. Maybe a better question is, "does conservation properly practiced = QDM?"

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:55 am

ORIGINAL: JPH

ORIGINAL: Everyday Hunter

Steve

I agree Steve. Maybe a better question is, "does conservation properly practiced = QDM?"

I guess I can see reasons for and against saying it either way. Not sure which I prefer. But Jake's point is a good one. If QDM is practiced in order to create giant racks, it's not being properly practiced and it's not really conservation. Management to create trophy racks has been called "Trophy Deer Management," and that's something different from QDM. Trophy deer management is done with little regard for other species.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

PreviousNext

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management