New Spot

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
Demoderby4

New Spot

Postby Demoderby4 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:50 pm

Well the action has died down a bit where i am setting up my plots ad mgt plan next year so my buddy and i decided just to do some "post season" (if you will) scouting (with our guns lol) for some good places to set up potential spots for next year and we found a great spot on the other side of the property we had been hunting on, its perfect for a few in-woods plots on trails leading out into a field of clover or whatever we decide on putting in. It already has somewhat of a bedding area established and we are going to add on to it and make part of what will hopefully be their bedding area come fall. There is still a lot more smaller things to consider with this spot like stand placement with wind direction and stuff like that but im really excited for the spring and i cant wait to set this place up!!

ranwin33

RE: New Spot

Postby ranwin33 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:54 am

There's nothing quite like finding a new spot to work on.  But are you sure you want to disturb the bedding area.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:44 pm

I don't think they are bedding in there right now, it didnt look like it, it just looks like good bedding habitat, i was planning on making that part of the woods a little thicker and everything, to better satisfy the deer's need for cover, plus were gonna make it so we dont disturb it getting to our stands and everything when the time comes :)

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:11 am

Sounds like a great idea, the thicker the cover the better for deer.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:08 am

Another question, My buddy and i found a great trail (well i first saw it and took us on it );) jk! haha! But we found a trail that led us to what we think is going to be a prime spot for a couple stands next year. The trail was littered in feces i lost count of how many separate spots we found it in, over 25 "piles" for sure though, it was through a somewhat thick thicket, with some openings as we went thru, I had to get on my hands and knees at times, (no sheds were found) :( but my question is, would this be a bedding area like a long the trail? I wasn't sure what we had found, it kinda looked like their were some beds, but if i recall deer get up and out of bedding areas to urinate/poop correct? If that is the case was this just a really used trail that the deer are using to stay concealed from predators? We followed it to a thin section of woods that was littered in more feces trails and rubs from last year, and was right by a small, good flowing creek, corn field, and through the other side of the woods was a even bigger and thicker thicket. We didn't have enough time to go check it out :( this weekend hopefully we will though! We are thinking we have found a great spot to set some stands up for the fall, and we were really excited!! I just wanted to what you guys/gals thought we have come across and how to set up appropriately? Also we are going to be planting a 1-2 acre field of clover/alfalfa right by this trail (we were planning on doing this before we found this trail) as well as putting a few "Secret spot" plots in the woods where ever we decide to set up, thanks for any info!!! Yesterday was a lot of fun!!
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:46 am

Yea, it sounds like a bedding area.  I'd stear clear of that at least until maybe the rut.  What I like to do is hunt the fringes the first part of year, and then slowly make my way in closer to the bedding areas, etc.  This way you don't spool them and then you're right where you need to be during the best time of the year!  For this situation, I'd set up as close to a field edge as you can....Just follow the trail out till you get to an open area where you know you aren't going to spook the deer coming in or going out, or when you're hunting. 

Sounds like a good find though...Let me know if you have anymore questions!
QDM!

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:26 pm

Thanks buckhunter! What about trying to conceal some of the open areas more? Like me and my buddy are gonna wanna put the stuff we cut down in places to further conceal trails/bedding areas for the deer, and make some new trails that hopefully they will use to get to our plots and go by our stands. Should we just focus on these new trails we make or try to conceal this one as well?
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:59 pm

I'm not sure I follow...Do you mean you are gonna make brush piles?
QDM!

Goose

Postby Goose » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:31 am

I agree with buckhunter, it's probably a bedding area. I would just leave it alone, they are using it for a reason already,I'd keep it that way.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:06 am

Yeah like brush piles, im not good with words lol! [:D] thanks for the response goose! Ok, i think we'll leave it alone and hope for the best come fall, and work on concealing some other parts better, you guys make sense, no need to fix something that isn't broke!! Thanks!
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

Next

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management