New Spot

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
Demoderby4

RE: New Spot

Postby Demoderby4 » Sun May 10, 2009 5:48 pm

I just posted this in the MI forum but figured i would in here since you guys have helped me a lot and shared some great info this last year! But my buddy and i finally got a day off together and are going to hang 3 stands and move 1 more around tomorrow as well as cutting shooting lanes and also taking our last soil samples! I'm really excited since i'm actually setting up now instead of in late sept. [8|] lol! I have a great feeling this year and cant wait to put all the info i have learned, and that everyone has shared with me the last 8 months to use this year! Ill let you guys know of any sign or sightings, this next month is gonna be great, getting ready to tear up the land here in a couple weeks! Just gotta figure out what we want to plant and where, so many decisions to choose from! lol! [:o] Hope everyone's off season plans are coming along good!! Wish me luck ;)
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

Goose

Postby Goose » Mon May 11, 2009 3:39 am

Good luck Matt! Glad to see you are enjoying it! Your hard work will pay off in the end.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

kribbz

Postby kribbz » Mon May 11, 2009 3:45 am

I wish i was getting to put plots in!  we have had so much rain I can't get back to my plots!!!

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Mon May 11, 2009 6:47 am

Thanks Goose! I hope so, I cant wait! Kribbz, we have had some rain too, not much in the last few days or so tho, im just hoping the one weekend we take off it's actually nice out, we have been screwed every weekend we have taken off weather wise! Good luck to you guys as well!! I'm getting ready to leave in an hour or two [:)]
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Mon May 11, 2009 3:37 pm

Well i don't know what to think of today [8|] the land owner (joe) either forgot that i had my stand up or thought someone else had set up a stand because it was torn off the tree thrown on the ground and a "posted" sign was on the tree my stand was in [:( i feel awful if that is not joes land, i would never trespass! But me and my buddy described to him in good detail where we were putting our stands twice and he said the near side of the creek was his property and my stand was WELL on the near side of the creek on the property. So I dont know what to think, joe wasn't home either so we couldn't talk to him. I would think the guy would actually know his own property lines [8|] idk today just kinda p*ssed me off quite a bit considering we had a lot of great idea's for stand sites and now a lot of em we don't even know if we can do anymore.

We did hang one stand that we know is on his property because its a few hundred yards behind his house and he walked us thru it a while ago. That spot should be pretty good, already a lot of tracks and trails, cant wait to get the ground torn up and seed down! We looked around at the Gander Mountain near where we hunt and are thinking about some "Buck Oats," (couldnt get a link, big white 50lb bag) Some "Evolved Harvest Maximize" http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Evolved_Harvest_Maximize_Food_Plot_Seed&i=412746&merchID=4004&r=view A
And some sort of antler enhancement seed like "alfa rack plus" http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=412864&pdesc=Whitetail_Institute_Imperial_Alfa_Rack_Plus_Northern_USA&str=white%20tail%20institute&merchID=4005&r=view

Other than that, kinda a crappy day. If that ends not not being his land, we might just tell the guy to actually know what is his and start going door to door (like you mentioned drdaven) and his dad has like 2 acres, but for 2 people thats not too great. But hey, put some small plots in and improve the land some and we might have an ok spot! A buddy of mine shot a doe and a small 4pt on his 2 acres about 10 mins from where we would be lol! Time will tell i guess, im just really disappointed, esp if that ends up not being his land. But we did see two deer while we were out there, so that was nice, plus lots of trails and tracks around my buddy's stand hopefully everything works out!
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Mon May 11, 2009 7:00 pm

You'll have to talk to him. Get him out there and walk the property lines. Then you should have no problem knowing where you can put your stands. You could even introduce yourself to the adjoining landowner to verify the line.
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Tue May 12, 2009 3:40 am

Demoderby4, I feel your frustration.  I had something along the same lines happen to me last year.  I had permission to hunt this one property and I asked the guy if he wanted me to come in every spring to ask for permission again, and he said not to worry about it.  Both him and his sister owns this farm, but was told that he was the only one that owned the woods.  Last year would have been my second year hunting this area...Long story short, the season was not even a week old and I had walked to one of my stand sites.  As I was coming up to the tree I noticed a sign nailed to the tree that basically said this was private property please remove your stand or the authorities would be called.  I could not believe this...I just figured this had to be mistaken identity so I climbed up into the stand thinking that I would call the property owner that night to see what the issue was.  I wasn't in my stand for more than 5 minutes when I hear jabbering and walking through the woods towards me.  Turns out it was the neighbor landowner.  He stated that he was told to come out here to tell me I didn't have permission to hunt on this property.  I told him I did...He then went on to say that it wasn't even this guy's land, but rather his sister's.  The woods was apparently split in half which I had no prior knowledge of.  He also said that she wasn't happy about me using tree steps in the trees...Which went back to me stating that I asked the original (who I thought anyways) landowner about this and he said it was fine.  Man was I frustrated!  I got down and ended up calling that lady that owned the other half and she wasn't too nice let me tell you...Even after I told her my side, she wouldn't understand.  So, basically I lost permission to hunt both sides.  Somehow she got her brother to tell me I couldn't hunt his side either.  Wasn't happy about that, but what do you do?  Not my property.
QDM!

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Wed May 13, 2009 4:53 am

Yeah frustrated is def. the word to use, im going out there in a few mins. to talk to the guy and leaving mine and my buddy's number if he is not there. I would like some answers just to have a peace of mind. I would like to know where we can set up and where we cannot set up so this doesn't happen again. (most of his land is open fields if we cannot hunt where i was set up at) so yeah i could put some plots in, but their is about maybe 10 acres of woods total and 200 acres of open fields, if we cant hunt where we thought we could were giving up at least 150 wooded acres, which would suck, im just still a little p'd off about it, maybe im over reacting, but im off lol, ill let you guys know how it goes.
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Wed May 13, 2009 7:57 am

Well i went out there and talked to him for a bit. He said where i was at wasn't his property... i honestly have no idea where he thought we meant we were then both times we told him, so i was kind of disappointed. I didn't want to get into an argument, so I just told him we must of just misunderstood him, and left it at that. I know where his N,S, and E borders of his land are now, he said to come back Sunday so he could show us where his W border is (near where the only hardwoods on his property are, we have one stand and plot idea's waiting to put into action here as well) we took June 3rd and 4th off to put the seed down! A little later than we had expected but we just had frost on the ground 2 mornings ago, i thought that was a bit odd, but anyways, we will probably set up 2-3 stands on his land and maybe a strand at my buddy's dad's house and make it a double, so someone can video tape the hunt! We have been entertaining that idea, so hopefully we can do something like that!
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Tue May 19, 2009 6:13 pm

Well I didn't know who to talk to about this since not many people understand my interest/healthy obsession [;)] of hunting. But I have been thinking about this for the last week or so, and it seems I have a bit more initiative/interest in to make the practice of QDM happen on the land me and my buddy will be hunting on for bow season.

I don't mean this to sound like I'm the good guy or anything like that, that's def. not my intent, but I seem to have a lot more of an interest of wanting to do out plots the right way, lime,fertilizer. (i realize we should of "limed" last fall to plant now, but last fall we were lucky to be set up in time for the season lol!) Anyways, he just wants to till the land, and put the seed down and call it a day. As i read more I know the lime will not be completely broken down until a good 4 months or so after applying, and now I think the best option for us, and the best way to not waste our money would be to sacrifice putting the plots in this year (as much as i want to put em in now! [:(] without being fully ready, and lime now to be fully prepared next spring to have the lime in, get the right fertilizer picked out etc.. and he won't commit to this idea or, a weekend or day to actually get the plots done the way he wants to. He'll go up north instead, or something else when we have already made plans.

He is the reason why i can hunt that land, so I feel bad disagreeing with him, and I don't want to get into a big argument over this with him, but I don't have the money to just throw into this and hope it works, I want it to succeed and I want to do it the right way the first time, Idk, it's just kind of frustrating with all that has happened in the last few weeks and now he just wants to do the quickest route and expect it to work perfect. I'm really almost tempted to start going door to door and try to make some connections with local farmers and get a new project that I have control over. Like I said, I don't mean that to sound selfish or like im doing the right thing, I was just looking for some advice on what to do, and i know a lot of you guys have a lot more experience in this field than i do. Sorry this was long, i hope its legible lol! Thanks for taking the time to read it!
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

PreviousNext

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management