how do you set buck harvet goals?

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
ranwin33

RE: how do you set buck harvet goals?

Postby ranwin33 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:15 am

Probably the best advice here is to make sure you enjoy what you're doing.  If you set your goals high and it becomes frustating then what's the use of hunting.  So no matter what, keep it fun for everybody.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:09 am

I'm not good at judging a deer's age . I usually have a couple of doe tags and try to fill them . If I have the opportunity to shoot a 6 pt or larger , I will but i have been passing up the spikes and fork horns . But ............. I remember a 4 point that I saw several years ago that had a better looking rack than any 6 points I had seen !
Semper Fi !

Bob Olsen

Postby Bob Olsen » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:16 pm

Thanks for the info about mature Does'. I've usually gone after mature Does' to keep the numbers down. But you make a very good point. I'm a Deer hunter first and foremost ! If I have a 20 yard shot at a Buck bigger than what is already on my wall, I'll take it. But, I guess I just really enjoy working on the farm and setting things up for my nephews 20 years down the road. I'll have Don Higgins out to my farm soon to help with ideas for planting Oaks and Pines and everything else. Don is a great guy and can be reached at don@higginsoutdoors.com, or check out his website.

Bob Olsen

Postby Bob Olsen » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:30 pm

Goose, I like the way you think. I've read a few of your Posts' and replies and you have instant credibility with me. I really enjoy just being out in the woods and watching things happen! I have you beat tho my friend. It took me 10 years to shoot my first Buck and it was fantastic. I was looking away when 3 Does' had gone to my right and I saw the Buck. I grunted and he stopped to look past me into the woods. He came in to about ten yards. Very much worth the ten year wait. I took a LOT of ribbing from the guy's at The Archery Shop in Pittsfield, Illinois but it was all in fun, just another way of enjoying the hunt with other's. The Buck is now on my wall and I call him "The C.R.P. Buck" because it took me ten years to get him.

Bob Olsen

Postby Bob Olsen » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:48 pm

I had to stop and ask myself "Why Buck's"? I guess it's because they are a little more of a trophy because of their rack, not just because it's a Buck. And, with all Deer they get wiser with age. My biggest Doe weighed about 160#, a true trophy,  but what do I do get a full body mount? She was the oldest Deer I've taken. So I guess my point is, why shoot a Buck unless you are going to have it mounted? I think if people would ask this question of themselves and other's more 2 year old Buck's would end up being 3, 4 and older. Please do not worry about your neighbor's and be considerate of what you can do. There is nothing to get puffed up about just because you shoot a Buck. If I see someone brag about shooting a Spike I'll tell him "Well... at least it will taste good"

shaman

Postby shaman » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:56 pm

If you have 100 acres, you may have at any given time 1 or fewer mature bucks (2.5+ years)on your property.  Furthermore, any mature buck you have is wandering on and off your property and ranging over a good part of the surrounding county. Beyond that, you are going to be hard pressed to say more. 

Habitat improvement will do some to improve those odds-- the more resident does you have, the more "bait" you will have the bigguns when the rut come. 

I think you have the right idea: play the first year or two by ear.

I secured 200 acres back in 2001.  I did not put any real limitation on things for the first few years.  The important thing I did for habitat improvement was post the land and restrict access to just myself and my two kids.  By 2003, I was able to take the biggest buck of my career. 
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

gregd548

Re: how do you set buck harvet goals?

Postby gregd548 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:02 pm

For what it's worth, the area we hunt is paper-company owned CFR land, with basically the same hunters that have been hunting the same spots for many years. We tried a shoot-nothing with 6-points or less for 5 years: everyone agreed to, and followed, the rule diligently. At this point in time we have noted not one difference in the quality, or quantity, of the deer herd in our area. This year, with a take-whatever-you-want agreement in place, the largest buck taken & seen was a 7-pointer. Several years prior to our self-imposed rules, at least a few 8-point or bigger bucks were taken, but now, after "sparing" the small one for a few years, all we see are spikes & forks. At least in our area, QDM is a total waste of time & effort.

DEER30

Postby DEER30 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:13 am

I think you are on the right track. No fawns is a great rule. I brought some buddies up to hunt with me on a farm that I grew up hunting for 20 years. I knew the big buck potential it had but told these guys to shoot what would make them happy since they came from so far. Mistake. One of my buddies mistook fawns that weighed 90 lbs as adult does and shot them. Turns out they were both button bucks! So this year, my self-imposed rules are in effect. Shoot as many does as possible and no fawns. My rule for bucks is that I do not shoot a buck that is smaller than one that I have previously killed in that state with that weapon. Luckily I have been very fortunate over the years and so my standards continue to grow and so young/small bucks are off the hit list for me. But the same buddy who shot the button has never killed and antlered deer so, if he wants to shoot a young buck I guess I will probably let him do it.

Remember the most important thing is to have fun. You want good management but if too many rules ruin the fun its not worth it.

xmatax

Postby xmatax » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:49 pm

gregd548 wrote:For what it's worth, the area we hunt is paper-company owned CFR land, with basically the same hunters that have been hunting the same spots for many years. We tried a shoot-nothing with 6-points or less for 5 years: everyone agreed to, and followed, the rule diligently. At this point in time we have noted not one difference in the quality, or quantity, of the deer herd in our area. This year, with a take-whatever-you-want agreement in place, the largest buck taken & seen was a 7-pointer. Several years prior to our self-imposed rules, at least a few 8-point or bigger bucks were taken, but now, after "sparing" the small one for a few years, all we see are spikes & forks. At least in our area, QDM is a total waste of time & effort.

I would have to disagree. For QDM to work properly you'll have to first be set on taking out the does and those bucks that are mature but lacking in racks (size, quality, etc). I wouldn't shoot anything under a 6-point. However our state regulations make it basically an 8 point or larger (3 tines excluding brow so you could theoretically shoot a six point). QDM is really tough in our area as well because there are only ever a couple "shooters" each year on the property. I think the biggest thing is trying to get the bad genetics out of the area first. Along with the "shooting restrictions" I believe you need to make sure you weed out bad genetics and provide at least some sort of year round browse in order to keep the perennial larger deer staying in the area. It's really an all or none thing in my opinion. If you really put in the time, money, and effort it will pay off (I've seen this on our family hunting camp). Going at it half speed will not yield the results you desire.

Previous

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management