What dont some people get about QDM

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
ranwin33

RE: What dont some people get about QDM

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:15 am

I would have to say that QDM is "easier" to practice for those of us who do see many deer.  I passed on more deer this year than I care to think about, those I pass on I try to "shoot" with a camera.  It's not quite the same, but it provides good practice getting into a position to shoot.  After seven seasons, we have spent quite a few hours turning our 100 acres into a great place to hunt.  But it took a lot of hard work with just two of us.  We're pretty proud of what we've accomplished and that is where QDM comes into it.

I'd also agree with gunther89, it's better to start out small.  When I first started hunting I would shoot any deer that was legal, I was just anxious to shoot one having never done it before.  Then a couple years into owning our place antler restrictions came along and forced me to be choosy on the deer I shot, finally with a few more deer under my belt (all does), I suddenly no longer had the same "need" to shoot a deer and waiting on the 3.5 year olds or better became a whole lot easier. 

I don't hunt to fill the freezer, I hunt for the enjoyment of the sport, being in the woods, and the feeling of accomplishment I get from seeing our hard work pay off with more and healthier deer.  If filling the freezer was a priority I might well feel differently, but I truly believe that quality QDM will provide a healthier herd, will provide more deer, and will provide more shot opportunities if a person is willing to give it a chance.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:42 am

remember what is nice for one person might be a trophy of a life time for someone else,

if you let it walk that was your decision, you take the chance that someone else might shoot it...

QDMA is a personal chioce...not a mandate...to each his own, hopefully the one you let walk makes it to next year if not there will always be another whitetail that did make it.

dxthunter57

Postby dxthunter57 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:54 am

yes the first deer i ever shot was a spike horn
im not saying that its wrong to shoot little deer
ive shot 5 deer in my life (only 17) 2 have been big 8 pointers
but the thing that gets to me is that every one allowed to hunt on that property has agreed to not shooting little deer or young deer
am i only trophy hunting no i am not all about killing big deer
but what upsets me a little bit is when people that hunt the land complain and say lets do a QDM plan and come hunting season i see them driving out with little deer
and they still complain about it

dxthunter57

Postby dxthunter57 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:56 am

but the thing that gets to me is that every one allowed to hunt on that property has agreed to not shooting little deer or young deer
but what upsets me a little bit is when people that hunt the land complain and say lets do a QDM plan and come hunting season i see them driving out with little deer
and they still complain about

dxthunter57

Postby dxthunter57 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:16 am

I don't have an ego when it comes to deer hunting. As far as freezer space is concerned I spend enough money each year on hunting so that I can try to feed my family with a healthier meat. I'm going to try and fill it with two MATURE deer IF I CAN but that's a challenge in itself. So far in the 5 years of hunting I've only been able to take two deer once. That shows I think of conservation. I've let far more deer walk

maturity is exactly why i didnt shooot those deer
2.5 eight pointer he wasnt a monster barely outside his ears
can you imagine what he would have been in 2 years or even next year
and a yearling buck
maturity ya i get that trust me i aint a moron

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:43 am

ORIGINAL: dxthunter57

and they still complain about

Hey man, you're 17. Over time, you are going to find that what other people do is far beyond your control. In hunting and all aspects of life!

I don't know how much land you have under your control, but I have found that the best you can do is to make your place great, control your own trigger finger, and expect your neighbors to follow the law. That's all.

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:50 am

ORIGINAL: Nubs

I have been hunting and managing 110 acres for the last 4 yrs, I bow hunt it all to myself, but then I am joined by my two brothers for gun season. In the last 2yrs we have harvested 2 eight point bucks that were 3.5yrs old. I have had local farmers come in and plant overgrown fields to increase the food in the area, and this year I began implementing a protein mineral site for the deer to use. The most important thing I did was get out and talk with my neighbors about deer management. After 3yrs of talking with other landowners around where I hunt I have about 1,400 acres that are now deer management properties. I was surprised by the overall acceptance of the concept.

Last year my neighbor who has a boy that started hunting got lucky and shot 2 1.5yr old bucks right behind his house on thanksgiving day. I had seen both bucks on different occasions through out the bow season. After gun season I stopped in to talk with then for awhile and congratulated the kid on his tremendous success and shooting skills. After talking with them for a little while I mentioned the concept of deer management and what a lot of other hunters are doing in the area, the dad and son got really excited about the idea and both agreed to try and take mature deer.

I guess what I am saying is property size isn't a huge issue, just get out there and pound the pavement a little bit and start talking to your neighbors, you may be surprised to find out how many are willing to try deer management.

Talking and open communication is never a bad idea. And it is to your credit that you prefaced your mission with congratulations for the lad.
Talking to our neighbors is rapidly becoming a lost art. 

Goose

Postby Goose » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:18 pm

I agree with JPH, Its what you have to accept if you choose to pass on the deer. For no reason outside of breaking the law should you decide what others should or shouldn't shoot. it is part of the way you choose to hunt and you shouldn't judge other people by what they shoot. Its not fun watching something like that unfold but it is reality.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

dxthunter57

Postby dxthunter57 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:29 am

i dont judge i jsut get upset sometimes
and i have talked to the people my negihbors they have all agreed that and they came up with the idea of a QDM but they arent taking any actions...but the little ones are jsyt as special as the big ones
the day i stop getting excited when i shoot a little deer or any deer is the day i wont hunt anymore

dxthunter57

Postby dxthunter57 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:31 am

and yes i would congratulate a kid if he got one i mean its a deer
im just confused i guess

PreviousNext

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management