What dont some people get about QDM

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
JPH

RE: What dont some people get about QDM

Postby JPH » Fri May 29, 2009 9:43 am

So in other words, you do QDM. You may simply call it conservation, but a rose by any other name...

You work to improve habitat and nutrition. You shoot does. I assume from your posts that you monitor and tweak the results. That is QDM! I don't care how you deal with the buck harvest. The basic elements are there.

I think we're pretty close. We're just using different terms. If donutdavid could vist my little place, he would approve. I'd even let him bring his friend Aldo.

NYarcher

Postby NYarcher » Sat May 30, 2009 3:50 am

I guess I've looked at this thread enough already so here I go. Unlike most of you that have posted on here I dont own the property I hunt on. The most me and my family will do is pick up falling branches that block our pathways, occasionally prune those paths when necessary and take care of our shooting lanes. Since were not landowners this is what were limited too. All three of us (my father, brother and myself) pass up deer mostly during archery but when that last week hits its crunch time its go time. And i'm sorry QDMers but on many occasions I have shot a yearling buck (dodging the rotten vegies comming my way) Now im not saying that if its brown its down. I hold out the first 3-4 wks of archery for a decent buck. But like last year, I only saw a 4 and 6 pt. I ended up with the 4 and he tasted great! Not to mention I also got my doe outta the way opening day. Ultimately I love venison. I personally can consume 2-3 deer a year. raised on it. But of course like any hunter I would love to take a nice mature buck. But these choices are like a double edged sword. Havent any of you shot a younger buck, gone out after for a doe and have a monster come by like a deer video? I thank god each and every time I harvest one of these beautiful animals. And with all the time spent year round its nice to taste success and know that it was all worth it. And last but not least, The hardest part for me like alot of you is that the amount of people that pop up and shoot at anything that moves is an every year event where I hunt. I cant begin to tell you how many times I've passed on deer during archery only to see them get taken by a bunch of guys who drive my woods (unlawfully I might add). And the worst is my local conservation officer has done nothing about this. This group of guys bagged 67 deer last year driving everyones property. When all the deer get driven off or shot whats the sense? In 20 years of gun hunting I have yet to even take a buck because of these circumstances. Not being a landowner and having no help from local law enforcement makes it a very difficult situation for QDM where I am.
Venison - the other red meat

Goose

Postby Goose » Sat May 30, 2009 4:15 am

This is another problem and misconception with QDM'rs. When somebody shoots a deer that they want to, and are proud of it, I couldn't be happier for them. Who am I to judge them for what they choose to legally take.
I can honestly say that if one of my buddies or relatives shoots a 1.5 or even a nubby I will be there celebrating with them and I will be truly happy for them.

Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

JPH

Postby JPH » Sat May 30, 2009 4:25 am

Beat me to it Goose!

NYarcher, I liked your post and I can to relate to most all of it. My one issue is with this:
And i'm sorry QDMers but on many occasions I have shot a yearling buck (dodging the rotten vegies comming my way)...

Who on this forum has been attacking other hunters for legal kills? I want to know, because I'll be as hard on them as anyone here!

NYarcher

Postby NYarcher » Sat May 30, 2009 5:29 am

Its not that anyone has attacked another on here specifically but on a few occasions I've seen some express their disdain for guys who would take a 1 1/2 yr. old. Personally like you goose and JPH, anyone who is happy with what they harvest is alright by me. I think people sometimes forget circumstances vary widely from person to person. As well as the regulations in each state. If I had the property of course I would practice some sort of conservation or QDM. I am, like all of you, infected with whitetail madness. But until then I have to do what I must and roll with the punches.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Sat May 30, 2009 7:31 am

Couldn't agree more guys...A trophy is in the eye of the beholder. 

Another thing that we're talking about here is what your fellow landowners are doing, whether them 'practicing' QDM, or using the brown is down mentality where like NYarcher stated, this group goes out and drives everyone's woods and shoots 60+ deer.  This we can't control in my opinion, and even though it's hard not to get upset or frustrated over it, I think we're better off using our energy on something else more constructive.  We have that problem in the area here in WI where I hunt.  Our one property is 40 acres, and our other is 80.  Even though they are nice sized properties and I'm very satisfied with them, they still aren't big enough where you're going to control what, when, how, ect when it comes to deer movement.  Unfortunately most of the hunters that butt up to our properties have the brown is down mentality as well...And then they complain when every year they see less and less deer.  Coincidence?  I think so.  You can try talking to them (which I have) to see about ways to improve deer numbers, but most of the time from my experience they're so set in their ways that they won't listen.  Best you can do is improve your land as much as possible...Make it the most inviting 40 or 80 acres in the area so when those deer do get pressured, they know where to go.  That's what we do.  We've been building up deer sanctuaries for some time now through the use of the chainsaw, put in food plots, limiting the amount of deer shot, putting in fruit trees, etc.  That's QDM to me...
QDM!

2tonyb

Postby 2tonyb » Sat May 30, 2009 1:32 pm

It is because of the problems posted above that I retreated to a fence row in the middle of nowhere.  I was getting so tired of trespassers, deer drivers, and times when I would pass on one and then someone else (sometimes trespasser) would make the kill.  When I walk to my favorite stand, I walk a little over a half mile and don't pass a single tree until I get to my little oasis of a fence row.  There  is minimal hunting pressure within a mile!  I'm so much happier away from everyone else.  I probably sacrifice some on the number of deer that I see, BUT the quality of bucks is up.  Besides quality, the deer that I see are in a much more natural relaxed state (relaxed may not be the best word).  I do believe that every deer is a trophy, especially taken with a bow.

NYarcher

Postby NYarcher » Sun May 31, 2009 5:53 am

Thats exactly what my father did. But unfortunately he stopped archery hunting. Now he just hunts during our shotgun season with his TC Encore. He doesnt see the numbers he used to which was one thing he loved so he's gradually beginning to loose his interest and I'm losing a lifelong hunting partner. If it werent for my brother and myself he wouldnt come out at all anymore. The tresspassers turned him south years ago but it got worse when one of them almost shot him in a open field when a deer was between them. My dad was even wearing orange! Ever since we have to build him up to get him out. Its only a matter of time now before he quits going all together.

JPH

Postby JPH » Sun May 31, 2009 8:19 am

A few words on poachers:

To begin with, I sympathize with all of you. Poachers have been a thorn in my side since I began to practice land management. I try not to hate anyone, but I REALLY dislike them!

I do not see poaching as a reason not to QDM. Rather, I see it as a reason to QDM! The creation of sanctuaries make it possible for deer to evade poachers and the increased vigilance of the hunter/landowner often scares off those who do not belong.

Even if my QDM efforts have not put a dent in the poachers operations, I like to think I am fighting back. The more I encourage thick cover and the more I watch the property, the harder they have to work to kill deer illegaly. They are lazy and I think they will move on eventually.

Another point is that the QDMA has spent a lot of money on anti-poaching efforts. I places where there are a lot of QDM landowners, they have even formed their own "neighborhood watch" type groups.

I hate backing down in the face of bullies and thieves! I say we fight them with our evolved management and hunting methods.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sun May 31, 2009 8:46 am

Like you NYA....I hold off until I can but if it hasn't happened in archery and I 've seen few a 6 or better will hit the ground....Here at the house I do'nt shoot more than one doe and down at came if she big and I have the tags...it's as many as I can take....But the thing with the drives just kills me...... here big time and at camp some but not as noticable...but here is a NEW ONE...OMG .....family friend went down the hill while I went on the top side to hunt birds and poachers...caught the later....any how he comes back a discribes a group of guys on the land below us ....driving turkeys and carrying hand guns!...WTH!...Then I was past on the road at 4:30 by a truck and as I continued walking to my blind I see their truck bed light on...so go to my blind and just wait to nail them...after I listen to some  box calling behind me I hear the truck doors and they drive off...later at 10am on the way back to same blind from a differant set up ...I see the truck and hide...they pull up and I stepped out shaking my head and hand NO...they get out...70's and 80's and they admitted to trespassing on land behind us and then ...ooopps admitted hitting ours last week end! Well...I swallowed the " Ichy" side of me and with a smile kept them talking...to find out the older guy is from PA and has been all up and down the EAST coast hunting turkey...So I say to the driver...Oh your a guide hah?..."Yep ...well I mean only when he's here"...ya...sure...I rounded the conversation out to give them 3 pointed hints that I hate and will arrest trespassers and my cameras will find them...He says well you surprised us ...with no car around....Yep and I hind it when I'm here...[8|]

PreviousNext

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management