imperial whitetail clover planted this spring

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
wolfcliff

imperial whitetail clover planted this spring

Postby wolfcliff » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:31 pm

The VERY favorable conditions have done really well for my whitetail clover plot in western , Illinios.Planted roughly 4 acres in bottomland area on small farm*59 acres in April.
My question is that I want to assure a that my arrest application will whack out the grasses that are also starting out well this summer.This was a horse grazing pasture previuosly.I need to know if since the arrest says to apply as soon as possible to young grass, should I apply now with the summer heat or try to mow.Also my tractor is located in mid missouri at my farm.I can not mow high with my riding mower if i should mow first could I get by using my highest setting on a riding mower
Any advise is greatly appreciated
Cliff wolf

ranwin33

RE: imperial whitetail clover planted this spring

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:57 am

I think you'd be fine to spray.  Weather on our place in north Missouri hasn't been so hot, except for a couple of days, that I would worry about applying herbicide.

You may be getting too close to hot weather to mow, especially using a riding mower, even on the high setting.  I think given the possibility of little rain and hot temps I would hold off.  Especially if you've got clover a foot or more high.  Now if it's just six inches or so, you might be okay because on the high setting you wouldn't be taking off all that much so stressing the crop probalby wouldn't be an issue, but any higher and I think I'd wait for cooler temps and increased rain possibilities.

Don't expect the Arrest to kill all your grass.  Even after our second application of Poast Plus (same as Arrest) we still have grasses.  Plus, as the grasses get more sparse, it seems the weeds take advantage of the opportunity and really start to show themselves.

Best of luck, let us know how things turn out.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Goose

Postby Goose » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:02 am

First off WELCOME to the forums!

Arrest works best when applied to a younger grass, preferably 1-6 inches in height. If it is taller than that you may need to use more of the product to kill the bigger grasses. Follow the instructions on the label for how much to apply.

It also works better when the grass is not dormant due to drought or cold. It is best applied while the grasses are actively growing.

You should spray first then wait about 2 weeks before mowing. The reason for this is that mowing causes the grasses to grow new shoots from the base of the plant and each shoot has its own growing point which makes it harder to control.
Giving it about 2 weeks after spraying and before mowing will let the herbicide work through the whole plant.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:33 am

Welcome!

I absolutely love Imperial Whitetail clover. I planted some more of it this spring but wish I could have weed killed one more time before I planted (I was exhausted and getting eaten alive by black flies) but went ahead and did everything else anyways. The weeds were getting tall in a few spots so I mowed about a week or so ago.

Let me know how the Arrest works I have always been curious and best of luck on your plot and hunting season!!!
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

wolfcliff

Postby wolfcliff » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:59 am

Thanks all for the info, and I think the forum is great already.

My plot really doesn't have all that much grass in it yet. I had winter greens & Bob oats in it last year. The early start discing in mid March didn't allow alot to get started. The deer had this plot mowed to the ground all winter also. I think that I need to shoot more does on this ground.The season was excellent with my girlfriend and myself taking mature bucks.
I guess that I will hit the pllot with arrest then wait till I can get the tractor and brush hog back over there to mow it or do you really think that with the heat I should wait till early fall. The clover is at least a foot tall and just beautifull.I also planted rows of sweet corn and tomatoes that the deer are hammering. I didn't realize that they eat the actual corn plant itself.There is soybean and crop corn adjacent to the farm, but I quess that they prefer the sweet corn.I have the tomatoes and other garden items fenced.
I live in Orchard farm, MO just across the river from this farm it is actually closer that my MO farm that I have been practicing QDM for about 7 years now.I just can not get over the difference in numbers of deer and soil fertility is in Illinios.Everything seems much easier to grow, and no rocky soil.The best I have had is 3 years out of whitetail clover plot. The weeds have ALWAYS gotten me previously.
again thanks for the info.
Cliff

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management