Got myself a decision to make!

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
ranwin33

RE: Got myself a decision to make!

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:01 am

Tough choice between a spreader and a sprayer - I'd have to say we use ours about equally.  Not only can you use the sprayer for herbicide application, we also use ours when we're burning plots and fields. 

If I had to choose, I'd probably go with the spreader though, spreading fertilizer and lime through a hand spreader would be a big chore.  The hang off the back spreaders you can get for about $80, only problem is they rely on gravity to send seed to the spinner and don't have an internal agitator to keep things from clumping.  They do work well for small in the woods plots though.  The tow behind spreaders should have an agitator inside to keep things from clogging the drop holes, but found that in tight areas turning created problems.  We had a cheap tow behind, but it didn't last long - if you get one, don't cheap out, spend the $$$ and get something that will last.  No matter what type of spreader you get, wash it well after each use, fertilizer and lime are deadly to metal parts.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:18 am

Great news guys!

I dont have to apply any lime this year as the soil tests showed ph levels of 6.7 and 6.9 on my 2 plots.

Only thing i need to do so fertilize. Guess ill be buying the sprayer this year.

Here is how the results looked:

SOIL TEST #1
phosphorus-109ppm
potassium -456ppm
calcuim- 2312ppm
magnesium- 435 ppm
Soil PH 6.7
Desired PH(whitetail extreme) 6.5
CEC 17.9

SOIL TEST #2
phosphorus- 36ppm
potassium 393ppm
calcium- 2696ppm
magnesium-469ppm
Soil PH 6.9
Desired PH(winter Greens) 6.5
CEC 20.4

Can someone explain CEC to me please?

Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

Goose

Postby Goose » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:04 pm

Cation Exchange Capacity- The number indicates the soils potential to hold plant nutrients. The higher the number the more it holds. Clay is usually higher than sand and the more organic matter the higher the CEC.

Thats good you dont have to lime, then you have more money for fert! [;)]
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:28 am

Thanks Goose,

So what is the CEC scale? 1-50, 1-100???

Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

Goose

Postby Goose » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:22 am

The common scale is 0-50. 0 being sand and 50 being heavy clay.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Fri May 01, 2009 3:50 pm

BuckHunter..... try www.tractorsupplycompany.com to view their products...hope the link works?

If you watch your local Farm and Estate Sales and Auctions you might be able to pick up some good deals on used sprayers,spreaders and other equipment for your ATV at a resonable price.We have rented an ATV disc at our local MFA for around $20.00 a day or $35.00 for the whole weekend then we divided the cost between 4 of us on our lease and it made it more afforable.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Sat May 02, 2009 7:26 am

Yup it works, thank you! :)
QDM!

Previous

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management