Lime

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
burnnurse1

RE: Lime

Postby burnnurse1 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:04 am

Can you buy it by the bag or do you have to get it in bulk?

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:04 am

You can buy it by the bag or by the truck-load.  I guess it all depends on where you're putting it and how soon you need it to work.  Most lime that comes in bags is pellatized lime.  This stuff will work a lot sooner with your soil than the regular truck lime, but the downside is that it won't work as long, i.e. you'll have to reapply within a year or two.  I would recommend getting lime by the truck load if you have an area where they can come in and spread it, or even if it's a backwoods plot, you can always have them dump it somewhere and you can spread it on your own with a four-wheeler, etc.  Buying bulk lime is more cost efficient too!  I guess most people I know use lime by the truckload...Let me know if you have any other questions!
QDM!

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:08 am

We bought "bagged" granular lime from both WalMart and CountryMax . It's more expensive than loose / bulk lime . My son's property isn't accessable to a delivery truck so we had to buy the bagged lime and haul it up with p/u  trucks and  spread it with a Cyclone Spreader . If you get hold of the right Manager at either place , they might give you a price break for buying a large quantity .
My son's property is hilly and rocky . I had a difficult time getting up there with my Chevy S-10 as the trailer hitch would hit on a couple of the water bars .
I would think purchasing it in loose bulk and having it spread would be the way to go !!!!!!!!!
Semper Fi !

burnnurse1

Postby burnnurse1 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:35 am

Thanks for the replies. Most of my plots are fairly small and some would even be inaccessible for a big truck. I could, however, have them dump it at camp then spread it myself as suggested.....Thanks for the info!!!

burnnurse1

Postby burnnurse1 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:39 am

One more thing..... What kind over coverage do you get from a 1 ton load?

zos41

Postby zos41 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:23 am

I always till the ground, spread lime than till in

northernVT

Postby northernVT » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:05 pm

ORIGINAL: burnnurse1

One more thing..... What kind over coverage do you get from a 1 ton load?

Well, this is a difficult question. It will depend on what your soil test is, but rule of thumb with no soil test would be two tons per acre.

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:53 am

Have you guys ever dealt with "powder type" lime? I was doing a little pre-shopping if you will, last week at a "Tractor Supply" type store just looking at prices and stuff so i know what i might need to spend in the next few weeks and i came across a powder type lime, it was 40lbs for a little less or over (cant remember) $4. Just wondering if you guys have had any luck with this type of lime? How to use it? And if the price is a good one? Thanks for any info! I'm getting really excited to start our food plots up, the snow is gone and the temps are staying above 32! [:D] Hopefully i'll be getting someone to work for me this weekend to clear some of the woods for our "in woods plots" and marking some trees to put our stands in!!
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:20 am

I used powdered lime to fertilize my pecan trees in Alabama. I tried to spread it with my little garden spreader but it kept clogging up.  I ended up with the lime in a wheel barrow and me dipping it out with two plastic cups that I shook out over the ground. I ended up looking like the StaPuff marshmallow man by the time I was done. Powdered stuff works great but you'd better ask about what type of spreader to use. I don't reccommend my method.

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:36 pm

Thanks a lot Wanderer! I might just go ahead and buy a lot of the powdered stuff and use the quad to transport it around the fields and fin something to distribute it. I'll ask around and see what the co op's recommend. I'm glad to hear it worked well for you! Hopefully it works well for us here!
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

PreviousNext

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management