food plot

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
EatDeer

RE: food plot

Postby EatDeer » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:37 am

I have planted oats before, the deer did seem to like them. I think come late winter season my corn plot will be hard to beat. I noticed the BFO ad in the mag, I will say Dr. James Kroll does know his stuff.  I just wonder if BFO can really be any better than seeds bought local from grain elavators? I've heard nasty rumors about big plotting companies selling normal seed as something great, and making 3-4 times the money.
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

GTOHunter

RE: food plot

Postby GTOHunter » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:07 pm

We planted several food plots with the Buck Foraging Oats early this past Spring and I saw more Turkeys in them than anything else...we did plant the BFO early so they (The Deer) may not have hit them as much because they had other plots to eat out of with clover?We brush hogged the oats off this summer after it was pretty well picked clean and we planted 2 more food plots with a mixture of the BFO,wheat,turnips,brassicas,and clover!They are doing very well and I just spread some fertilizer on it this past tuesday.

On our Lease property we planted 3 large food plots (on Aug. 23) with Secret Spot,Throw & Gro,Bio-Logic Green Patch Plus,Hot Spot and several other mixtures of brand name seeds on the market,then we planted 3 more food plots scattered on the 2 long logging roads and on top of a Ridge where the deer cross constantly!I'll try to get a few pic's to post in a few weeks. 

dtrain56

RE: Food Plot

Postby dtrain56 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:42 pm

depends on how much natural brose is around and if there is natural food sources that they perfer, how much acricultural fields are there??/

it also depends if deer know what it is, is this the first year it has been planted????

if there is alot of natural food or corn around they my not touch it until those food sources dry up and if they have never had it they might not reconize it as food yet.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:49 am

Not recognizing it as food might well be true, or maybe they just don't care for it.  We planted a plot of brassicas/turnips last year.  The deer didn't touch it - ever.  And it was a very nice plot, good leaves, big turnips.  I've heard brassicas get sweet after it freezes, so maybe it's still too early in your area.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

hansonca

Postby hansonca » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:58 pm

Yes this is the first year it has been there and it is maybe a 15 by 20 foot plot on the corner of a huge corn field. Plus there is a still standing and a cut corn field about 200 yards away, alot of apple trees and there was a soybean field about 400 yeards away. So amybe they won't be interested tell the other food is gone.  Thanks for the advice.

Gafrage

Postby Gafrage » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:00 pm

I'm guessing once that corn is down, they might attempt to go to it.  If you have an alfalfa field nearby that might be part of the problem as well.  I've seen deer use an alfalfa field all year long in WI.  Perhaps because they feel safety in the field as well.  They are out there every night.  Mostly does, fawns and young bucks.  Not a whole lot of monsters.  At least when I go past from April to December.

cannycorn2000

Postby cannycorn2000 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:31 am

Let us know what happens to your plot because I was going to plant some of this crap.

ReflexHunter

Postby ReflexHunter » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:09 am

This year I planted a small brassica plot, about 20 x 20 yards or so.  It took the deer a while to find but when they did it only took a doe and two fawns about a week to demolish it!  Keep a close eye on it because if they find it it won't take long gor it to be gone.

hansonca

Postby hansonca » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:56 pm

I'm going to check it in the am. I will tell you whats up with it.

HiddenHornsRanch

Postby HiddenHornsRanch » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:38 pm

I have planted Biologic yearly, and the deer will eat it, some have to find it and the food available already makes it look like its not touched, though they may not be taking large chunks out, they may be browsing through picking what they want, and what you notice is whats left...thats what they do on my plot, and mines really getting picked because we have been in a bad dry spell with little rain, it finally rained last night and hopefully it can grow at the rate theyve knocked it down...
KINGSVILLE A&M JAVELINA

PreviousNext

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management