food plot

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
kribbz

RE: Food Plot

Postby kribbz » Tue May 26, 2009 2:59 pm

will do.  I was planning on taking some pictures but I will do that the next time I'm out there. 

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Tue May 26, 2009 7:05 pm

Sounds like it's coming along.  I know we need a lot of rain here in west-central WI.  The soil is like cement right now!
QDM!

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Wed May 27, 2009 12:29 pm

What are you planning on planting in your food plots Kribbz?We've been getting rain here all Spring...every now and then we get a break so we plant something else.We have all our plots in now and they are doing great,just had another severe thunderstorm again this evening and this will make it 4 days in a row we've had rain (sun,mon,tues and wed.) [8|]

kribbz

Postby kribbz » Wed May 27, 2009 2:39 pm

I've got some Whitetail Institute Clover with a Chickory additive.  I had a Brassca (SP?) no plow in there over the winter that did....Ok.

ILBowhunter

Postby ILBowhunter » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:14 pm

Try a scarecrow, or should I say a scare-turkey.  You should get germination within 7-10 days and can remove the "dummy" well before it would cause problems with deer.  Some aluminum pie pans might work too.  Cut a hole in the center of several... run a string through them and tie the string ends to post 10 yards apart.

1Morgan

Postby 1Morgan » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:58 pm

I have a way of removing turkeys from your property but i cannot post exactly how here. I need directions to your property and a permission slip, i am booked until the spring but will be there as early as i can to eradicate these vermin for you.
South Carolina Low Country

xcell2

food plot

Postby xcell2 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:54 pm

I want to make some food plots, but have never done one. Any one have any tips or help?

prohunter

RE: food plot

Postby prohunter » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:34 pm

Hello xcell2, I have been making wildlife food plots for a long time now.
I am not a pro gardener, just a farmer. But making a deer plot is EZ. Disc or till the area that you have. You can get the soil tested if you like,but i never do, and i always have great results, after i disc or till i use some 10/10/10 fertilizer, then i plant my seeds,i use millet and soy beans and clover remember to put the clover out last and dont drag it in,it needs to be on the top ,all it needs is contact with the soil.
The other seeds need to be about 1/2" under the soil ,but it doesnt have to be perfect.
The turkeys love the millet and the deer eat when it when its small,but when beans come on they hit it all the time.Now in late fall you need to lime this area real good for the next planting season , because the lime will take about 5 to 6 mths to work.
So just disc or till ,fertilize,plant your seed,grow ,and lime in the fall. This works very good for me ,i use this mix for my hay feilds and i cant keep deer out of them ,thank the lord i love to hunt!!
Jim
if you more help just email me
take your kids hunting and you wont have to hunt your kids.

xcell2

Postby xcell2 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:15 am

You have never used a soil test? Thats good i think i will try it with out one, I dont think i have enough time. Do you think there is enough time to plant oats and winter rye? I dont have a way to water the plot do you think that is a problem?

prohunter

Postby prohunter » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:09 am

Yes there is enough time for the oats and winter wheat. It will come up all the way threw fall and winter but it wont top out untill next sping, as for rye grass it does best in cool weather but it wont top out ether untill next spring. It will take about 10 to 14 days to come up as long as it gets rain. I plant all my hay feilds in late summer to early fall so that they are ready for harvest in june.And then i replant for fall harvest .
What state do u live in ?
Jim
take your kids hunting and you wont have to hunt your kids.

PreviousNext

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management