09 Corn Field

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
frazor

09 Corn Field

Postby frazor » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:19 pm

I am making preparations for food plots next year and I have been dying to try a corn field. I own 150 acres of rolling pasture land and I also rent the joining property which consists of an additional 75 acres. I estimate that 25 acres of the boardering property is mixed mature woods, with almost all of the woods concentrated in a 100 yard strip in between properties. While looking for a place to place my field today, I noticed a section of land on the rental propert that is completetly "locked" in between my fence and a creek bed that runs through the low-lying part of both properties. It is absolutely ideal for a corn field, but I worry that it isnt big enough. I would estimate it to be just under an acre. I have read that, after a while, any corn field under five acres will be consumed almost as quickly as it comes up out of the ground. Should I consider plowing under some of my pasture land to make this field bigger (really not what I want to do) or will this field be adequate enough for this year and maybe another?

JPH

RE: 09 Corn Field

Postby JPH » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:42 am

My first question is "why corn?" Of all the food plot options, corn is one of the more labor intensive. Plus, if you are in an ag. area, corn may not provide much variety.

I tried a small corn plot, about 1 acre, a few years ago and it flopped. I did not have the time or equipment to keep it weed free and by fall it was pretty weak. The fact that there were healthy corn and beans in every direction doomed my plot.

My second question would be, "what are you planting the plot for?" Is it for year round nutrition, is it to provide an anchor for your deer herd, or is it to hunt over.

All of these factors can determine what type of crop you put in, as they will attract deer with various degrees of intensity and at various times of year.

Goose

Postby Goose » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:47 am

I agree with JPH, its hard to grow (we've tried 3 times now) and it's probably one of the most expensive.
That being said, I think that will be a small corn field. I've seen 3 acre corn plots get completely wiped out.
If its for nutrition i would put something else in that will yield more.
If its a small plot just to add variety then it might be enough.

I guess we need to know your intentions.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:11 am

Corn cost so much to grow...and just eats up the soils nutrients....With 150 acres of pasture why not go with a forage crop that(what do you pasture?) can eat...put your time and money in the pasture land and you'll have deer eating in it and bedding near by...better feed for live stock as well.....in that small area I'd still say buckwheat in spring and then over seed with turnips or rape seed....you'll be surprised

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:34 am

Frazor are you hunting in a state where they get alot of snowfall.  Here in Wisconsin we already have had 45 inches of snow and we are only in the early part of January.  I know from last year where we broke the snowfall record with over 100 inches that the deer by us survived the winter because of standing corn fields.  I would say if you don't get that much snow don't plant corn but plant winter wheat or soy beans.  I would go with corn only if your in a part of the country where you receive lots of snow.

Goose

Postby Goose » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:40 am

A field that size wont last thru December in a winter like we're having!
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

frazor

Postby frazor » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:58 pm

I live in northern Alabama and we rarely ever get significant snowfall before February. I have a neighbor who will put the seed in the ground for me if I prepare the "bed". I own my own tractor and disk/plow so getting the ground ready really wont be a problem for me. As for surrounding crops, a few of the locals have  5 acre corn fields for their cattle but other than that, it's pine trees as far as you can see. I know this strip of woods is a hotbed for travel, but it seems most of it occurs at night. The idea for corn came to mind because I thought my chances of seeing bucks during the day would be greater if they were walking from pines into a corn field rather than walking from pines into an open field i.e. Clover, rape, turnips. Thanks for the input so far.

Goose

Postby Goose » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:19 pm

If you manage the way you hunt the property the deer will go to a field in daylight if they don't feel the pressure.
I would try other crops such as soybeans before corn.
If you give the deer something different from the neighbors they will hit your field more often.
Jake

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:34 pm

Please also take a look at some of the most recent issues of D&DH.  Some really good articles on food plots.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

frazor

Postby frazor » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:43 pm

Thanx Goose, but given the space I have to work with, <1 acre, are soybeans a viable option? Would planting them in August help my chances? Keep in mind Alabama gets very little rain from June thru September. Or should I just break down and plow under an additional 3 acres of my pasture land for this and sow it in May?

Next

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management