Aging Does

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
Demoderby4

RE: Aging Does

Postby Demoderby4 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:36 am

Never really thought about the whole big/small property comparison, it makes perfect sense though! That was a great observation made there, have you thought about just not shooting any does for a year or so on that property? Do you think that would that do anything? Good or bad? Just an idea i had.

Other than tooth aging and worn down molars i figured it would be almost near impossible to age a doe after it reaches 2.5 or older, I have learned a lot tho from what you guys have been saying. Im not sure if it is just the way their coats are here in SE Mich or any cold wintery place but it seems that the younger the deer the shorter and more chubby their body looks? Anyone else notice? Or am i just seeing things? [:D]

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:28 pm

ORIGINAL: reeper0697

Here there are so many does to bucks. I usually try to take old dry does since they arent producing fawns yet still eating food that supports good breeding does and bucks.

Does anyone believe there is such a thing as a 'dry doe?'  I really don't think there is...JMO!  Want to see what everyone else thinks. 
QDM!

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:44 pm

ORIGINAL: buckhunter21

ORIGINAL: reeper0697

Here there are so many does to bucks. I usually try to take old dry does since they arent producing fawns yet still eating food that supports good breeding does and bucks.

Does anyone believe there is such a thing as a 'dry doe?'  I really don't think there is...JMO!  Want to see what everyone else thinks. 

I think there have been some good articles written, debunking the idea of the dry doe.

Goose

Postby Goose » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:52 pm

I've read articles as well in D&DH going against this dry doe theory.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:57 pm

Let me restate "dry doe" since D&DH itself had a good article about this topic and it was a bad choice of words. could they produce fawns? probably. What I mean are big does that are usually alone. Like I said in the spring time we will see a decent amount of does without fawns, just alone in general at times. did the get bread? possibly. Did they have fawns? maybe, I really dont know. I dont mean a doe that is sterile, I mean a doe without fawns
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:49 pm

Yea, I don't think I'm that big of a believer in the 'dry doe' talk.  For one, most of our does don't live long enough to be considered 'old.'  For two, I think I have read that there are documented cases of does as old as 15 still having fawns.  Everyone has their own opinion though I guess!
QDM!

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:00 pm

Buckhunter,

I agree with you. I was actually amazed the first time I heard how old does can be and still reproduce
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

Previous

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management