Sugarbeets

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
Goose

Sugarbeets

Postby Goose » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:26 pm

Anybody on here ever plant sugar beets as a food plot? If you did when and how?
Are you happy with the results?
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

msbadger

RE: Sugarbeets

Postby msbadger » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:48 pm

Yes and deer love them...but..I found them a little hard to start and switched to Lutz beets ...more top better grazing and good beets

Goose

Postby Goose » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:07 pm

When is the best time to plant them? Are they used like turnips in that they are a cool season plot?
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:30 pm

Sorry Goose...Well if you go with the true sugar beet they need a very long growing season between 100 and 120 days and need spring planting and need soil to be kept ..loose...the Lutz beets I swithched too are easier and have a an 80 day season but I keep mine in longer because deer keep tops down and eat roots later...I can also start them a bit later

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:53 am

Do you have a resource where seed can be purchased in bulk.  I can't find one locally.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:58 am

I use a local guy now...he supplies the farmers in our area and brings my seed to the house on his way to the farmers.....but use to use the Welter SEED Company....good prices but for me in N.Y. the shipping was a killer for my small plots....as far as the beets...Lutz...I get them from R.H. Shumways catalog...hope that helps

drdaven

Postby drdaven » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:16 am

Goose,

Sugar beets are very tough to grow.  Just ask any beet farmer.  Many times they jump the gun plant early and the seed gets pounded in by spring rains.  This combined with the touchiness of the depth of planting keeps the local farmers gray haired.  If you want to try it, just check with a local farmer.  He will likely let you buy some of his Roundup ready seed.  This way you can keep your field clean to maximize the yield.
A friend of mine grows Mangel Beets.  They are a little bigger and much more forgiving.
Good luck either way, but try talking to your farmer friends.

Goose

Postby Goose » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:08 am

Thanks for the info guys/girls !!
Jake

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management