River Bucks vs Farm Bucks - Mngmnt ?

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
VAHunter

River Bucks vs Farm Bucks - Mngmnt ?

Postby VAHunter » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:08 pm

Out of the several places I hunt during the year, there is two different properties that I hunt with pretty good odds in seeing a nice buck (very low pressure on both).  But I have noticed considerable differences in the bucks pictured and taken at both of the properties (each about 500 acres).

One is a hunting property that is located on a very much operational farm with all of the goods including corn and soybeans.  The other is a property that is located on a river amongst mostly hardwoods, and some old pines scattered about the property...and no farms within 20+ miles.  One would think that the farm property would produce the larger bucks, but it is quite the opposite.

So my main question is what resources are available along a riverfront and/or hardwoods that would allow bucks to grow considerably larger headgear?  Is it that these properties produce land in which is harder to hunt and the deer live longer?  If this is true, it begs the main question...is the age of the deer more important than nutrition?

Demoderby4

RE: River Bucks vs Farm Bucks - Mngmnt ?

Postby Demoderby4 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:44 pm

Not sure to be honest, deer herd size might be one factor, if the herd is smaller on the woodland farm u have each deer will be able to get the proper amount of nutrition to further promote antler size and deer health, getting the right amount of nutrition is essential for antler growth, but if you're on a farm on the other land they should be getting enough on that too in most cases, but that would be my only guess, other guys will be much more knowledgeable than me lol.

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:54 pm

farm bucks may have low hunting pressure but a very strong human presence.

Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

VAHunter

Postby VAHunter » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:33 pm

thanks for your replies....another wrench to throw in the equation, is that there are twice as many deer sightings at the river property...

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:43 pm

I don't have a clue lol, it could be genetics in each heard though, just a thought.

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:52 am

ORIGINAL: VAHunter
Is it that these properties produce land in which is harder to hunt and the deer live longer?  If this is true, it begs the main question...is the age of the deer more important than nutrition?

IMO, age is by far the most important factor in allowing deer to reach thier antler potential. Heavy timber with lots of ravines often allow a deer to live another day.

This is one of those dirty little secrets that the "industry" does not want to get out. They cannot put time and a bag, stamp a big buck on it and sell it. [;)]

Goose

Postby Goose » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:27 am

I agree with the age part thats the biggest factor. No matter your genetics or nutrition you will not get big bucks unless they age.
If you look at the book bucks on a map the most concentrated areas of big bucks are more than likely along a river system. Better soils, better cover, and areas bucks can escape from the pressure. The river also supplies great nutrients for everything around it. They normally have great browse around water because of good soil.
Whenever I look at a new spot or help a buddy out with a new area I always check out the river or creek if there is one first.
Bucks will also run the banks during the rut. 

Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

dxthunter57

Postby dxthunter57 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:58 am

this is just a stab in the dark
but could it possibly the minerals in the river feeding over into what they are eating

VAHunter

Postby VAHunter » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:12 am

Here is a buck taken last week within a couple of miles from our cabin on the riverfront property, by one of our neighbors there....we're not seeing anything close to this on our farm property.

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:35 am

ORIGINAL: VAHunter
....we're not seeing anything close to this on our farm property.

Let's hope you are not using that buck as a standard. [:D]

Next

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management