River Bucks vs Farm Bucks - Mngmnt ?

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
ranwin33

RE: River Bucks vs Farm Bucks - Mngmnt ?

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:15 am

Age is probably the biggest factor - especially if you're seeing more bucks at the river property.  That would seem to indicate they are living longer.

Crops are good, but a deer is a browser and will only eat so much before it moves on to something else, so they may not make that much of a difference regarding deer size in you area.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:46 am

ORIGINAL: VAHunter

Here is a buck taken last week within a couple of miles from our cabin on the riverfront property, by one of our neighbors there....we're not seeing anything close to this on our farm property.

I'd have to agree with JPH...thats not a buck, thats a FREAK OF NATURE!!!  And I mean that in the most spirited way...now if your stating that there are comprable river bucks, I'd go check whats in the water!!!  Lots of variables could come into play...the deer herd on the farm could be larger, thats more bucks competing for food, less to go around...if the river bucls have a lot of mast via acorns etc, coupled with fewer deer per sq mile their going to have better nutrition and they stand to age longer because of all the growth they can hide in.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:08 pm

ORIGINAL: JPH

....we're not seeing anything close to this on our farm property.

Let's hope you are not using that buck as a standard. [:D]

AGREED!  lol  What a nice animal!  [:)]
QDM!

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:13 pm

That's a once in a lifetime animal! Like everyone has said try not to compare other deer to that brute because in all honesty you may never see another deer that big in your life! But it's always nice to know those kind of deer have been taken around your area, now that everyone else mentioned it lol, age does have a lot to do with the overall size of deer and if antler size is what your looking for you are going to have to pass on 2.5, 3.5 + yr. old bucks to harvest anything close to that monster! (in most cases) If the deer on your farm are getting the right amount of food for themselves without over-competing for it, the only thing that your missing might be letting younger deer grow up to be 3.5+ older. I don't know if you practice any type of QDM though.

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:47 am

Here is a buck taken last week within a couple of miles from our cabin on the riverfront property, by one of our neighbors there....we're not seeing anything close to this on our farm property.

Whereabouts are you located? Am I assuming correctly by your handle that you are in Virginia? I think I'm confused because I have this picture in my email with a story of it being taken by a 14 yr old Amish boy with a homemade bow.

keystonehunter

Postby keystonehunter » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:33 am

Age is the predominant factor when it comes to antler growth. No expert I, but that's what I've read and observed. The biggest buck I saw on the property I hunt was a 170 class buck that was 5.5 years old. Other 1.5s and 2.5s have decent racks but need that 3rd and 4th year to get the growth spurt.

Genetics are in the mix as well as nutrition, stress, winter severity, and calorie intake.
you never shoot a buck from the couch

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:23 am

ORIGINAL: Squirrelhawker

Whereabouts are you located? Am I assuming correctly by your handle that you are in Virginia? I think I'm confused because I have this picture in my email with a story of it being taken by a 14 yr old Amish boy with a homemade bow.
  I also heard it was a amish cb kill, from Adams, county Ohio, the storie was in NAW a couple of years ago. So much for your hard evidence, unless your hunting Ohio... The deep draws, ravines, and brushy river bluffs hold more un-pressured deer, therefor more bucks will grow older in the local herd. Farmland is great for feeding and growing huge bucks, but if the protection habitat isnt there, the deer won't be as healthy as a herd. Deer need all aspects of a good growing habitat to produce a healthy herd, and monster bucks.   
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:38 pm

VAHunter, I call bullshit on this one this buck was killed in 2006 in Ohio by John Schmucker with a crossbow. He is Amish that is why its just the buck in the pic, I remember the story well....

Not sure what you were trying to prove by posting a pic of a buck that you or your buddy clearly didnt kill last week. Dont try and take credit for sombody elses deer..

Goose

Postby Goose » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:32 pm

Please watch the language this is a family orientated forum. Thanks
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:49 am

Sorry should have used BS.

PreviousNext

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management