Favorite plot?

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
bowhunter53

RE: Favorite plot?

Postby bowhunter53 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:38 am

I planted my first food plot in 1985 and have planted-corn,soybeans,clover(all kinds),chicory,rape,beets,oats,winter rye,winter wheat,sunflowers,sorghum and buckwheat. Nothing beats soybeans until the leaves brown and I've heard they have come out with a variety that stays green allot longer which I am going to try. A mix of clover and chicory is second and they keep hitting that until snow fall. Oats planted in late Aug. gets hit hard in Oct. and Nov. and so does winter wheat or rye. I like rape also, if you have other plots they usually will not touch rape until you get a hard freeze and than they really hit it hard and usually that's rut time. I plant corn more for winter food and late season. I'm also a farmer so I have plenty of corn and soybeans that I harvest. A corn or bean field immediately after it is combined is a magnet to deer.

FarmallDave

Postby FarmallDave » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:18 pm

I usually do not do this, as it is one of those things ( if I tell you, I will have to shoot you kinda things) No not really. It's just I do not try to promote or endosre a certain product. I have been planting or leaving some kind of crop for deer over 12 yrs. I plant buckwheat, rye, winter wheat, corn, soybeans, oats, clover, alphalfa, brassicas and just about every comercial blend out there. I am also getting ready to try sugar beets. Deer will come to certain crops at certain times...period. If the soil is ammended correctly, deer will come to all of the above listed at certain times. Some of these plantings are for summer nutrition, some for winter and some for hunting attraction. So I really do not have a so called "favorite". and neither do the deer that roam my property here in Ny. So because this is a forum on deer and deer hunting, I will tell you my choices for hunting season. Commercial blend - Evolved Habitats throw-n-gro. The deer in my area completely go nuts over this stuff. It doesnt seem to matter where I plant it, or how big of a field the deer just hammer this stuff. I plant this every yr in my small 1/2-3/4 acre plots. Late season when it gets cold and snow is on the ground it is very tough to beat corn and or soybeans. Hope this helps!

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:51 am

Well I have to say BUCKWHEAT....I start all plots in buckwheat for at least 1st 2 years....it does well on so many levels
 1. works in poor soils and higher PH
 2.long root to help break up soil
 3. adds nutrients to soil
 4.helps break weed cycle
 5 deer LOVE it
 6. you can over seed in late fall with turnips before frost kills it....which gets the deer coming in to taste turnips and keep returning

Previous

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management