Burning fields for food plots

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
Demoderby4

Burning fields for food plots

Postby Demoderby4 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:54 pm

I have seen it on he shows and have heard of it before, but what do u need to do the SAFELY complete this job for like making food plots, it seems like it would be a lot easier way to get the job done, but i will not, not, not try it unless i know exactly what to do, i know wind direction and stuff matters, but what do you do to get the fire to burn just what u want it to and not run ramped through my woods? :/ thanks for any info you can provide me with!!

danesdad

RE: Burning fields for food plots

Postby danesdad » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:28 am

First thing I'd check was if it were legal or not.

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:27 am

i have

Big Buck Daddy

Postby Big Buck Daddy » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:47 pm

How large of an area are you trying to manage?  What type of terrain?

If you're serious about doing this, I would recommend contacting your local DNR office and talk to the Forester.  They should have the knowledge to answer your questions you have.  They also have the experience of using wildfire as a management tool.  If you can recruit them to do the job, they should assume the responsiblity if something goes wrong, instead of fining you if you try to do it yourself.

I would NOT recommend tackling a job like this UNLESS you have personal experience and the resources to do it the right way.

Too many landowners have tried and never realized that fire can be a dangerous tool that only needs ONE element to run out of control to cause a major catastropy. 
You can do anything you want, but you'll eventually have to answer to THE MAN for it!

JPH

Postby JPH » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:55 am

Contact the local fire department and the DNR. At worst they can offer you some practical tips on how to stay out of trouble. At best, they may actually do the burn for you.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:32 am

Nothing I like more than burning a field.  The MDC actually helped us with ours the first year, even provided cost share assitance to have a dozer with a cat disk come in and put in firebreaks.  The DNR provided a water tank with spray gun on a trailer and drip torches as well, no charge.  Missouri provides a burn workshop for land owners that you have to go through if you want to use their equipment.

Firebreaks make the job a whole lot easier.  But I know many don't have that luxury.  We have burned some small lots without them, 2 - 3 acres or smaller.  My recommendation, have an ATV with a 25 gallon water tank and spray gun mounted on back, back pack sprayers filled with water, get some burn mats, and a leaf blower is also good.  Drip torches make the job easier but are not a necessity. 

Do not burn in high winds, do not burn when everything around you is bone dry, do not burn by yourself, do not burn under power lines as smoke will conduct electricity.  I've watched fire run across a field like water, it can be very scary.  If you don't have firebreaks look at starting a head fire to give yourself a cushion before you go after the entire field.  No matter what, go slow, you won't get the best burn that way but it will be the safest.  Also be aware that once you have a fire going it will suck air and cause wind direction to change.

Fire is an excellent resource if used wisely, and is a good way to clear a field for food plot preparation if you don't have the farm equipment to do the job.

Best of luck.

If you have neighbors who may be effected by smoke, or roads that might be effected be sure to contact them as well as local fire department and law enforcement. 
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management