deer range

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
deerhunter125

deer range

Postby deerhunter125 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:52 pm

okay i dont know if this is the spot to put this question but i am going to ask it any ways.

My question is if a whitetailed buck it born in one area of land will he leave and go 5 or 10 miles to live for a year then come back to where he was born and then leave and mobe some where else. Will they do this so they wont interbreed with a doe that could be related to him

Gafrage

RE: deer range

Postby Gafrage » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:49 pm

From what I understand.  Not reading any books, just getting some knowledge from TV shows, or my own personal experiences. 

Doe groups generally stay in the same area, depending on pressure and all.  Bucks, definitely get kicked away from their mothers.  The button bucks that survive this year, will get kicked away from their mother prior to the does dropping next years offspring.

The bucks at that point and time are roughly 1 year old.  They are basically roamers for a while.  Not really of the breeding type.  They might stick around their home area, but they eventually move on.  How far?  I can't tell you that for sure. 

Your best bet is this.  If you have a good .5 to 1.5 year old crop of bucks this year.  You won't see them again, or maybe once more, but that's about it.  They won't breed their mother, or their siblings.  It does happen, which I think is part of the cause of antlered does (don't quote me on this, I'm just throwing that out there).

At any rate.  The bucks will definitely move on by their 2nd fall in life.  They will search for "greener" pastures.  From that point on.  You might see them again, but not likely.  What happens, is the Big bucks you see, are usually from other areas, that find their new home around your hunting area.  They grow up, mature around you.  They stay there for food sources, or just simply because of the "security".  So in conclusion. 

Bucks move, it is very unlikely that they mature where they were born.  I'm not saying it's not possible.  What I'm saying is that it is very unlikely.  Most of the deer you see this year that are young bucks (unless you own a lot of land) you won't see next year.

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:49 pm

Welcome!!! and i am curious to see the responses to this question!
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:45 am

Many bucks will disperse at 1.5 years of age, some won't. 

Some "experts" claims that this helps to eliminate interbreeding, others say it has nothing to do with eliminating interbreeding.  There is also a theory that the same bucks will disperse one more time after 1.5 years of age and some will come back to their original home area.

This book does a good job of providing an explanation, it can be purchased on the D&DH website: [font="times new roman"]Whitetail Advantage: Understanding Deer Behavior for Hunting Success by Dr. David Samuel and Robert Zaiglin.[/font][font="times new roman"] 
[/font][font="times new roman"]
[/font]
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

djohns13

Postby djohns13 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:19 am

I think there might be two reasons for the dispersal.  First, which I have eyewitnessed, is the mother physically drives the buck fawn away while letting the doe fawn stay.  The only reason I can possibly imagine why this would happen is to eliminate the possibility of inbreeding.   After all, she will be entering estrous again soon and doesn't want him around.

The second reason that I can imagine is that the buck fawn's current home range already has several older, more dominant bucks than him.  Therefore, if he wants to become the dominant buck, he needs to find a new area.  I am not sure if this actually happens, but it makes sense to me that it could.

Whitetail Advantage does do a good job of explaining why, but I think the best thing you can do to prevent buck dispersal is to shoot mature does.  It doesn't always work, but I have seen a few times where the buck stayed, and still remains, in its "birth" territory after the mama was removed from the herd.

Good shooting.
Darren Johnson
Internet Pro Staff Member - Indiana

Glad to talk to all of you, but I'd rather be sitting in a tree stand on a cool morning trying not to move so that the bruiser buck directly below me doesn't figure out that I am watching him!

cannycorn2000

Postby cannycorn2000 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:58 am

I think this why it is very important to take many does each year.  To have a balance to the sex ratio.  

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management