QDM Strategies for protecting young bucks

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
JPH

RE: QDM Strategies for protecting young bucks

Postby JPH » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:42 am

ORIGINAL: EatDeer
Another thing, if shot guns are leaping out there that far on shots...how much further are rifles shooting nowdays?   

Actually there has been very little change in rifle range or accuracy in the last 80 years or so. Shotgun slug technology is  growing fast as is archery, but rifles have had very few new developments.

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:02 am

ORIGINAL: JPH

Another thing, if shot guns are leaping out there that far on shots...how much further are rifles shooting nowdays?   

Actually there has been very little change in rifle range or accuracy in the last 80 years or so. Shotgun slug technology is  growing fast as is archery, but rifles have had very few new developments.

But the optics and caliber choices people are making now days seem to be that bigger is better.

when i was working at a sporting goods store in town i noticed instead of buying a 30.06 with a 4x refield on the top they are now buying a 30.378 weatherby with a 6.5-20x50 leupold sitting on top. They may not be able to actually make the further shot now but since they just dropped $3000 or more on a new rifle they sure think they are capable of a 1/2 mile shot. I hate to say it but it seems like even the gear people hunt with is just one more status symbol in our society that people get hung up on.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:34 am

ORIGINAL: JPH

ORIGINAL: schlupis

Could you please explain your last paragraph of your post about the closer range shots protecting yearlings. Not cutting you down I just have heard that before from a guy form Iowa he said Iowa is got more big bucks because we use shotguns so we cant kill from far away..

You are supposed to identifiy your target before shooting if you are conserned about killing a yearling or 2.5 yr old then shouldnt you slow down and make sure the buck is what you want before the bang goes off. Sometimes they get away when trying for the older deer and you get a inbetweener buck in the scope, and your not sure. But knowing you used your better judgment makes me feel better and you still might get another crack at him..

Last year the buck I killed with my rifle was 150 plus and I knew right away by looking at his body and rack that he was a older deer, (he was 3.5). 150 is still good shotgun range. So I dont know how it helps...

Again please dont think I am being a smart a#$ just would like your reasoning for liking the shotgun over the rifle..

First of all let me blast the notion that I did not identify my tagret out of the water! I had a clear view of the deer, I knew the range, and I knew my backdrop. What I did not properly identify was the age of the deer within 1 year. Experts will differ on the age of the deer when they have the jawbone in their hand, so I take great offense at the suggestion that it was an irresponsable shot.

I have chosen to target 3 yr. olds for that exact reason. I want to protect yearlings and this gives me a 2 year buffer.

Now, as to why I suggest that shotgun hunting MAY offer hunters a better chance at protecting yearlings. My own example demonstrates that the closer to the animal you are, the easier it is to see age indicators.

Congrats on your 3.5 year old last year. But it does not mean that 150 yds. is the optimal range to field judge a deer. 

I would think the use of shotguns might assist in protecting yearlings, or any deer for that matter, simply because there will be less deer coming within range.  A shotgun with a 150 yard range only covers about 1/2 as much territory as a rifle with a 250 yard range.  Fewer deer within range, fewer deer shot.  Not sure if it plays a part in QDM though.

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:23 pm

JPH let me ask you a question about your last comment on the lottery not having a thing to do with protecting yearlings...Please remember I am not trying to open up a closing wound on the whole lottery thing..

Do you think Iowa would have such a strong and healthy heard right now, and I mean as many does and trophy bucks if they did not have the lottery? Knowing that the way it is played up on hunting shows and videos is going to bring in a ton of non res hunting pressure, and the killing of a lot more deer.

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:57 am

JPH let me ask you a question about your last comment on the lottery not having a thing to do with protecting yearlings...Please remember I am not trying to open up a closing wound on the whole lottery thing..

Do you think Iowa would have such a strong and healthy heard right now, and I mean as many does and trophy bucks if they did not have the lottery? Knowing that the way it is played up on hunting shows and videos is going to bring in a ton of non res hunting pressure, and the killing of a lot more deer.

I think it is a valid question. And I have to admit, that given all the hype, I would not look forward to the wave of hunters that would show up that first season.

While I do not know what it would do to the quality of Iowa's herd, it would certainly hamper the quality of the hunt for those on public hunting. Iowa has very little.

The issue that I have (and have always had) with non-resident lotterys is their effect on landowners. If non-resident landowners were allowed to buy tags for their own property without a lottery, I do not think the herd would be hampered one bit. In fact, I think it would help by keeping landowners close to their property during the season and discouraging poachers.

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:49 pm

Good answer not what I would have expected from a res but different points of view are the whole point of this forum. I would have expected you to think more like I do that it would have a bigger long term effect.

The reason I say that is I know a few guys who have hunted Iowa before and say they would go every year if no lottery, and a few who are just to lazy to deal with the lottery so they wont go, but would if no lottery.

JPH

Postby JPH » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:18 am

The reason I say that is I know a few guys who have hunted Iowa before and say they would go every year if no lottery, and a few who are just to lazy to deal with the lottery so they wont go, but would if no lottery.

What part of the state did your friends hunt? Public or private?

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:57 am

I hunted private lands it was a blast, but the lottery is such a pain I gave firearms season up. I've been thinking about going for archery, is that drawing just as bad as the firearms lottery?
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

JPH

Postby JPH » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:29 am

I hunted private lands it was a blast, but the lottery is such a pain I gave firearms season up. I've been thinking about going for archery, is that drawing just as bad as the firearms lottery?

I think so.

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:58 pm

They were hunting on private land in south east iowa.. I am in the lottery and am working on locking up some farm land in north east or south east. A friend of mine is trying to hook me up with one of his farms he hunts onto see if I can hunt his property when I draw a tag.. I have a year or two so I have some time to work it out....

Hopfully coming down to Iowa in the spring to shed hunt and knock on some doors. Never hurts to try.

Previous

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management