What should I do?

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
SyracuseBowhunter

What should I do?

Postby SyracuseBowhunter » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:49 am

My wife and I own property in Chenango county in NY and behind the property is 6700 acres of state forest.  The neighbor that owns a home across the road from our property lives in Long Island and uses the home for a deer camp for his cousins, brothers, uncles and himself come deer season.  They own property on my side of the road adjacent to my property and farther down the road as well as behind his "deer camp".  With the whole group, if it is brown it is down.  I suppose they figure that if they travel all the way from Long Island, they should shoot something.  I've tried to talk to them about QDM and letting young bucks go so they can grow, but they don't want to hear it.  They think if they don't shoot it, someone else will.  The state land behind my property is a steep downhill to my property so hunters don't come in from the back side unless it is these guys from LI trying to catch deer coming off my property.  Three years ago I passed a 1 1/2 year old 7 pointer twice at 15 yards broadside only to see it hanging from their meatpole opening day of gun season.  The guy that shot it said, "It must be 175 pounds!"  I thought in my head as I looked on, "More like 125".  I went and got my scales so he could weigh it and it was 126 lbs.  Any suggestions on how to educate them to the benefits of QDM?
"All it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management