First time plotter with a plan?

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
nhauger

First time plotter with a plan?

Postby nhauger » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:32 pm

I have 120 acres in N. Wisconsin near Ashland.  Cleared 7 plots, tilled and limed at a rate of 4000#/acre.  Plots range from full sun 1/3 acre down to small gardens in remote spots.  Did not lime the smaller plots only the 3 larger plots (1/3a, and 2ea of 1/4a)  PH was 5.2 at start.  I was told to plant rye and or BW on smaller plots and trails starting Aug 1 and I plan to plant a brassica plot in the larger plots for a late season draw as I mostly rifle hunt the land.  I bought W.I. Winter Greens and Secret spot.   I don't think clover is an option since I live 4 hours away from the land and can't get  there easily or often to keep them weed free and mowed.  New to all this so any advice, on my plan?

msbadger

RE: First time plotter with a plan?

Postby msbadger » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:42 pm

I'd go back and lime the smaller plots.....BW good idea but frost hits it hard and fast so over seeding with rye is a good Idea....secretspot is a good product ...here in NY deer on our land won't hit braccs. until after snow fall...I use Appin / pasja turnips ...less money....they love beets but you need bigger area or protection to establish...good luck have fun....

nhauger

Postby nhauger » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:55 pm

We get snow early up in N. Wisconsin as it is only 20 miles south of Lake Superior.  Considered the snow belt so usually get a snow in October, and heavy by November 20 or so.  By over seeding do you mean plant rye with the Brassica's?  I thought about putting some other early season attractor as a strip along the edge of the brassica plot for an early season attractant.  I will mainly hunt this plot with a rifle and then muzzle loader in November then December.  Snow is almost a given by then and deep snow at that. 

I also will have a "secret spot" plot about 75 yds away from this "big" (1/3a) brassica spot, so my stand will be positioned between these two plots.  I Prepped and plowed two existing skidder trails from a cut done a few years back to form these two plots.  That is why they are so close to eachother.  Brassica plot is about 150yds from a known cedar thicket bedding area so I hope they move through the smaller plot, past my stand and to the brassica.  Smaller rye plot right next to the beds. 

I will lime it all eventually but I ran out of money for this year.  So, hopefully next year.  I figured secret spot with rye and wheat would do decent for now.  $2500 investment total with a land evaluation to select sites and plants and then the blade work and tiller work.  Quite a process.  I was amazed at the amount of work they did in a day.  The plots are l a beautiful bed of perfectly prepared soil.  Something out of a magazine.  I am going to try and get up there this weekend to spray if needed, one more time, move treestands and trim a bit and then return in a few weeks to plant.  Chomping at the bit.  Thanks for the reply. 

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:38 am

I assumed BW ment buck wheat ...if so it needs to be planted deeper than rye ...but buck wheat is useful as a weed deterant ...smothering them out which means that the rye and or rye wht.clover mix be top seed before a good rain and after deer and weather take the BW down enough for seed germination.......I just got through tilling up a small area between 2 long plots ...clover/rye .....which was an overseed for BW last year...came up so well I left it for one season...then a new long perennial mixed plot....red/wht clover...burnett....chicory...alfafa...
 We got early snows on top of the hill here as well last year it buried the 2ft high rape seed I put in...by the way I will NEVER do that again....you CAN't kill the stuff....I've mowed ...sprayed 3x's...tilled 2x and it still survived and I've had to resort to hand pulling...all summer long to get it out of a new perennial plot before it seeds...10 yrs I'm still making dumb mistakes...anyhow deer didn't touch it until late  in the season....So I spent extra and bought burnnet seed... which has done GREAT this summer and it is what they refer to as an ever green forbe....handles cold and snow well enough deer can dig down to it and feed through winter...it's the secret ingrediant in WHT tail extreme...our deer love it...sounds like you've invested alot of money in your plan.....remember limes always #1....fertalize according to plants needs....which is why this year I planted turnips next to clover  in one plot dang $20 a bag for fertalizer hurts.....#2 remember soil tilth and moisture will make or break a plot according to seeds planted...and #3 sun exsposer(sp)...I buy and mix my own seeds and this is what works for me...Oh also plan things based on the nearest farmer...I've waited and limed a few areas for 5yrs...planting annuals and clovers to improve soil...just waiting for the farmer to finally till up his alfafa field to plant corn...this was the year and now the only close place the deer have to go to get good alfafa is my place....he chops his corn for silage so the field will be empty come late bow...this will go on for at least 3 yrs...so always plan ahead......Go to Welter Seeds .com...they have many varieties and discriptions for there seeds....google things like Burnnet ...jumbo clover ....winter spelt or tritical(sp) it will give you alot of info...lime... soil needs...Good luck..

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management