Newbie to plotting

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
bad faulkner

Newbie to plotting

Postby bad faulkner » Wed May 14, 2008 6:42 am

I'm planting my first plot ever tonight.  I'm new to the whole habitat enhancement and management for quality hunting/QDM mentality. It's been several years in the making of my new mentality.  I used to be the type of hunter who figured that since I got to hunt less than most, I owed it to myself to shoot any deer I saw, legally that is. 

But I've changed and I want to raise my boy, a new hunter this season, to be like the new me instead of the old me. 

Our property is a club and we don't have a longterm lease, so I'm not going to invest a ton of money in seed and trees, but I do want to feed our deer.  So, we're putting in a small plot of IC-cowpeas, using milorganite to try and keep the deer off them a few weeks, and we're always going to spread out some corn. 

The plot is only 60 yds long and 4 yards wide but I may get my buddy to till another 100 yards, based on how this first plot does. 

It's supposed to rain all day tomorrow so tonight's planting night!

What are you guys planting or have planted?

Chuck/NLa

RE: Newbie to plotting

Postby Chuck/NLa » Thu May 15, 2008 5:40 am

I've got a good crop of wheat/oats that I planted last fall. From my experience (and as the books tell you), if you don't have your "PH" right you'll be wasting a lot of time and money. Get that soil sample done and adjust accordingly.

scotman

Postby scotman » Sat May 24, 2008 3:48 pm

I planted a acre of clover in late april its starting to sprout up with all the rain we have been getting. The plot is littered with deer tracks feeding on the new growth already. Hope your hard work pays off!
"The deerskin rug on our study floor, the buck's head over the fireplace, what are these after all but the keys which have unlocked enchanted doors, and granted us not only health and vigor, but a fresh and fairer vision of existence" -Paul. Brandreth

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Sun May 25, 2008 6:32 am

Once you get started putting out food plots and seeing how it draws more deer in you'll be hooked for life,and its great to see your efforts pay off with bigger and better deer.We plant several types of food plots in the Spring and Fall seasons,this spring we planted wheat,foraging oats,milo and clover.In the the early season I have frost seeded white clover,red clover and crimson clover that is coming up very nicely.In the Mid-Summer we plant Brassicas,soybeans and in the Fall we've planted wheat,oats and turnips to name a few. 

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:51 am

Once started your hooked....I've been planting plots for 5yrs and they are all small woodland plots....things learned are Ph and weed control matters!....this is how I start a plot....spray to kill weeds...lime and till then wait for weed seeds to grow spray again then lime/fertalize and till...now Plant buckwheat . I'll tell you why...it smoothers weeds... grows well on poor soils...adds needed nutrients to the soil...inexspensive and deer love it! They'll mow it down and it does regrow until the first frost...but deer will now know that there is a food source in the area. If you want... when planting the buckwheat add winter tritical then till it in  the following spring...Lime takes time to start working at least 6 to12 months...I lime heavey at first then lightly every spring.....the second year I plant buck wheat again then in August over seed with either lindino clover and rye or appin and paja turnips.....Once I have a plot  close to weed free and tilth built I buy and mix jumbo wht.clover... forage red clover ...Oasis chicory...trifoil...burnett...and if on dryer ground alfalfa...the only exspensive seed in this mix is burnett....I lime annuals with a 20-10-10 and all perennial plots with 10-20-20...bracs. need sweet soil and lots of fertalizer to grow well....perenials I mow in late spring and late August ..this is time to fertalize and it brings tender grow to field for fawning then bow season...Largest plots I have are 3 yrds by 200yrds....get a good pruning saw...spreader and I rototill all plots and have a good drag for mower....but also due alot of hand raking.....have fun.

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management