????????????????

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
HOYTHUNTER

????????????????

Postby HOYTHUNTER » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:37 am

thinking about putting out mineral tubs for cattle out for deer during antler growing! got very poor sandy soil where i hunt. what the cheapest best thing i can do to promote antler growth.food plots are out of the questions soil is really bad

GTOHunter

RE: ????????????????

Postby GTOHunter » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:56 pm

If You have poor soil I would recomend the smaller 50lb mineral blocks,find one that has the most mineral content if possible,I have used the natural "Trophy Rocks" also and the Deer seem to like them a lot?The best minerals supliments I have found with a larger amount of needed mineral is the "Lucky Buck" powdered mineral.You can also mix up Your own minerals that will help and over-all cost would be cheaper,I also set out a plain white salt block for the Deer and Wildlife to use.Be sure to check Your Game Laws in your State about using Minerals and or salt blocks so You don't get in trouble?

If I'm using the finer powdered minerals on the ground I usually dig a shallow hole and spread some of the mineral in there,then mix in some dirt and do it a few more times and finally spread some mineral on top of the ground I worked up,then after that I simply add some more mineral to refresh the mineral lick thru the year.If its a brand new mineral lick I may put some corn or acorn rage on top of the mineral lick so the Deer will find the Lick.I like putting a salt block close too becasue the Deer will use it year round.

SolocamXtreme

Postby SolocamXtreme » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:44 pm

Mineral blocks are nothing. ive been a Hunter specialties guy for 3 years. id recomen HS vitarack 26 a 5lbs powdered bag will last  a month. it gives the deer a stronger imune system. bigger racks and bigger bodies. it also kills the ticks off their bodies. also it gives the motherd does in the spring a better milk for the fawns I have proof with this 1yr buck from aug to nov tell me does vita rack 26 mineral with food plots make a difference heres my answer yes

bowman12

Postby bowman12 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:01 am

If I was in your position where food plots aren't an option at all I'd definitely go with the Cutting Edge products by Whitetail Institute. If we couldn't plant food plots we'd have the funds to provide the products for the deer year round and because they're made for different times of the season it gives me a little more faith that the deer would be getting what they need.

Don't mean to sound like a commercial but I think it's an awesome product for an area where deer aren't getting what they need.

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management