Does the type of feeder make a difference? homemade vs store bought

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
tysonc

Does the type of feeder make a difference? homemade vs store bought

Postby tysonc » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:08 am

Disclaimer: This is not intended to start a debate on the ethics of using feeders. If you disagree with the use of feeders, please discuss your views elsewhere.

We are permitted three stands on a lease with roughly 3600 acres with 17 members - thus 51 stands total with many sanctuary areas. Average "stand area" is about 12 acres. Each member can bring guests/family and hunt all three stands at any time, which is often the case. Thus, competition to bring deer to any particular stand site is tough.

The most successful hunter in recent years has shared with us that his "secret" is keeping feeders maintained prior to and through the season. Thus, I am seriously considering doing the same.

My question is - Would there be a difference in using a store bought feeder with a "thrower/spinner" plate and timer vs a homemade "gravity" or open top trough type feeder?

Rutnut

RE: Does the type of feeder make a difference? homemade vs store bought

Postby Rutnut » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:18 am

With a thrower timer, you can regulate how much feed you are using. Also, the deer may eventually get used to the "Feeding time". With an open feeder they can eat it all very quick, depending on deer frequency. Also, the thrower spreads the deer out as they eat and doesn't crowd them to one feeding area. Just my observations.

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management