Food plot and managment help

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
ranwin33

RE: Food plot and managment help

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:49 am

ORIGINAL: ZEEK

First of all congrats on your purchase. If it were me I would hire a forester or someone that specializes in land improvements for wildlife. It will probably cost a couple hundred $ but it's worth it for an expert to walk your land with you and show you first hand. It will pay for itself in the money you will waste doing it wrong the first time.

You might check with your local conservation department - Missouri Department of Conservation has PLC's (Private Land Consultants?) who work for the state and will come out to your property free of charge and provide recommendations for improvements.  We've had both a forestor and plc come out, and have been pretty happy with their recommendations.  The forestor even did a timber cruise and split our 100 acres into 14 or so different zones, pasturess included, with recommendations for each.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

stonesthrow

Postby stonesthrow » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:37 am

I've got a plot that slopes a little yet holds decent moisture and gets about 4 to 5 hrs of light a day. I did the soil test and followed it then planted Imper. clover and it did horrible. I thought about trying No Plow there. Any sug. or thoughts

prohunter

Postby prohunter » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:22 am

stonesthrow

How far did you put the seed in the ground?
And how long has it been since the seed was planted?
And where do live?
Jim
take your kids hunting and you wont have to hunt your kids.

Previous

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management