Planting Trees

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
DBogie59

Re: Planting Trees

Postby DBogie59 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:21 pm

Check out the maturation of trees on a website. Oak trees can take 20 years to get acorns. In 5 years you can be getting persimmons and apple trees consistently producing. Oaks are good for the longterm but fruit trees produce sooner.

kellory

Re: Planting Trees

Postby kellory » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:30 am

milkie62 wrote:How do you plant acorns in pots ? How long before they germinate ? What is the initial growth rate ?

First, do a float test. If an accorn is soaks in water for 24 hours, and still floats it is dead, Those that sink have a chance of sprouting. Accorns have to be planted 1/2 in the ground and on thier side to sprout as well. Very, very few survive the squirrels, turkeys, and the deer if left unprotected. Red Oaks have a natural timing device and require 1000 hours of 40 degrees, this means they will not sprout until after winter (spring) White Oaks will sprout shortly after hitting the ground. My trees are between 12 and 18 inches now, and just got planted on my hunting property yesterday. Each one has a heavy duty tomato cage around it wrapped in chicken wire, to protect them until they are larger. They were planted in groups of 4-6 at several locations around the property. Other than an occational watering if we hit a dry patch, or perhaps adding fertilizer, it is now up to Mother Nature. White Oaks will hopefully start in pots this fall, for later planting as well. And yes, my back is quite tired. :)Edit: Mikie62, these trees are now 1 year olds.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Previous

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management