Two person tree stand

Have you ever fallen? Share your story ... it might save someone else's life!
tbaker1350

Two person tree stand

Postby tbaker1350 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:47 pm

Hello. I'm looking for a little feedback here. I'm trying to figure out the best configuration for myself and my son for a tree stand set-up. We hunt multiple different locations of public lands, so hanging and leaving a two-man ladder stand is not an option. I have been considering using two hanging stands in the same tree. My son is twelve, and this upcoming season will be his second season to deer hunt (and my second season in many, many years). I'm looking at the Millennium M50 stands and Muddy Hunter climbing sticks, with HSS harnesses of course. Does anyone have any experience hanging two stands in the same tree together? If so, how difficult is it to do or are there any concerns I should have? I don't foresee it being an issue, but I haven't actually tried it yet. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sailfish

Re: Two person tree stand

Postby Sailfish » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:05 am

I believe the fellas on the TV shows do what you describe.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

tbaker1350

Postby tbaker1350 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:27 pm

Yeah that's what I was thinking as well. Wasn't really sure what type of setup they used, or how much of a crew they have to do the setup.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:46 pm

It seems to me that a lot of the times when people are making shows they already have trees set up with multiple stands. I've also seen where the cameraman was obviously in a different tree just a few yards away from the shooter. You could try finding a place where several trails meet and set up 2 stands to cover opposite directions.

Although if you plan on packing in on each hunt, finding trees where only 1 set of climbing sticks in needed would be a plus
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:04 am

My best advice is to stress safety above all else. Use a safety system that includes being attached to a line while climbing into your stand, not just one that you hook onto once you are in place. Ascending and descending are the most dangerous times. (I suspect that you already know that, but it is always worth mentioning)
We have two stands on our farm that are within 20 yds of each other for the sole purpose of being able to hunt with a partner. It's really cool to watch your partner getting ready for a shot. It also is nice to have a second pair of eyes to help determine shot placement and the recovery. Good luck with your son.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

VT Outfitter

Postby VT Outfitter » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:57 pm

I have set two stands in one tree for shooting a video hunt. Most any lock on stands will work for this situation. I was able to in many cases go up the same tree with one set of climbing sticks, one stand stepping left off the top of the sticks, one stand stepping off the right of the sticks at the top. Both stands can be at the same level, but I have found that while shooting a video it is easier to see whats happening to get the deer and hunter in the various shot angles if you are above the hunters stand level. Another option for you to look into is using climbing stands. I have used OL'Man Tree Stands for several years now, and I love the Drone climbing stand for its versatility while in the tree. Big platform to stand on, comfortable foot rest for the hunter, steady gun rest for recording a video without shaking, and it has turnbuckle style adjustment for the foot and seat platform to adjust the angle to be most comfortable. Very nice feature for leaning trees. Good luck, be safe, and have fun with your son this season!

Return to Tree Stands