ear protection

Have you ever fallen? Share your story ... it might save someone else's life!
Woods Walker

RE: ear protection

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:32 am

ORIGINAL: dxthunter57

I dont use it. To be honest I dont even here the gun go off cause of the adrenalin rush.

Your brain probably doesn't. But you can bet the farm that your EARS do.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:35 am

Here's a link to a product that I just read about in Outdoor Life. I may have to look into these....

http://www.sportear.com/
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:53 pm

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

5 words......DON'T SCREW WITH YOUR HEARING.

Once it's gone, it's gone.....forever.

I wish I could go back 40 years and do that part of my hunting life over again. Then maybe I could hear a watch alarm again, or the sound of duck wings as they glide in over me, and I wouldn't have this constant ringing in my ears, 24/7/365. 

I wear custom fit sonic ear valves while I hunt ANYTHING to save what's left of my hearing. When I tree stand hunted, I had a pair of shooter's muffs close at hand, and 90% of the time I was able to put them on before shooting.

Years ago we didn't have all the stuff for hearing protection like they do now, and "real men" just toughed it out. You can  tell these special men today real easily. We are the ones going, WHAT????? all the time.

To not use all the modern hearing protection devices they now have in this day and age is STUPID!

Couldn't agree more, I'm 30 years old with a constant ringing in both ears + my hearing is awful in my left ear. I was to tough for hearing protection throughout most of my youth.  Now I'm paying for it.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

TFin04

Postby TFin04 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:54 am

I know this is an old thread but gun season is here or soon to be here for most of us.

You damage your hearing EVERY time you overexpose your ears to sound. Concerts, shooting, power tools, etc. Your hearing decreases gradually EVERY time the above events take place and the reason you don't notice it is because it is a gradual effect.

If you don't use hearing protection you ARE doing damage every season.

I have a good friend of mine who lost most of his hearing during a firearm competition where his ear pro was knocked off and a 223 AR rifle was being shot within a few feet of his head. Watching him struggle through EVERYTHING he does sucks. Protect your senses, life without them SUCKS.

extroverted

Postby extroverted » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:50 pm

Walker woods I am with you!!!

I wear em even during bow season, I wear walker quads, they keep my ears warm at night plus I can hear everything as it's coming in!!! I agree that it's hard to tell what direction they are coming in, but I take slow moments to see where they are!!! Since I am right handed it seems that my right ear has some problems hearing, I always wonder why????

Could it be because I never used hearing protection before???
And that god awful 30-06 was so loud it kicks my ear into the next world???
Last year I was hearing some chirps and a whistle, I thought my ears were having some problems until, I saw a black panther stalking a large mature doe during muzzleloader season.
When I contacted the big cat zoo in Florida they told me that I was really close to the mama and her cubs, the noise I heard was her calling them!!!

Now if I did not have those ear muffs on I would have never known that these cats where even there and yes I live in Michigan. I am now carrying a 45 side arm, just incase little mama comes out to play.

Previous

Return to Tree Stands