Climbing Stand Mishap

Have you ever fallen? Share your story ... it might save someone else's life!
scotman

Climbing Stand Mishap

Postby scotman » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:33 am

I would first like to say I only stick to a few forums around here. Never paid much attention to the equipment forum nevertheless knew they had a tree stand category.

Would like to share one story I posted on my blog I posted a few weeks ago called Cold Morning Mist about the story before my mishap..which you can read here..http://treestandguide.com/hunting/cold-morning-mist/

The second part of the story I did not get a chance to write about was how I got down..my accident involved a climbing tree stand when they first hit  the market. The tree stand safety tether did not come with the climbing tree stand like some do now. What happened with me I forgot to tie off the top and bottom half of the climber with a safety tether. I climbed nearly sixteen feet up a tall straight cherry tree and the bottom half slipped out from my feet and crashed to the ground. Luckily I was young and agile enough back then that I managed to slowly climb down with the top half.

The strategy I used was I put my body halfway through the top half of the stand and placed my feet on the trunk for more support. When I had good support and the weight was on my legs I lowered the top half slowly down a few inches readjusted my feet and did it all over again. Not an accident really but it was a very close call.

For any that are new to tree stand hunting make sure your top and bottom halves of your climber stand are securely tied together with a safety tether. Also make sure you are using an approved Tree-stand Manufacture Association approved safety harness or short for TMA fall arrest system. Your loved ones will thank you for it.
"The deerskin rug on our study floor, the buck's head over the fireplace, what are these after all but the keys which have unlocked enchanted doors, and granted us not only health and vigor, but a fresh and fairer vision of existence" -Paul. Brandreth

Return to Tree Stands