My Life Flashed Before My Eyes

Have you ever fallen? Share your story ... it might save someone else's life!
DEER30

My Life Flashed Before My Eyes

Postby DEER30 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:39 pm

My friends and I should buy stock in Comfort Zone treestands. They are extremely affordable and are portable enough to carry deep into the mountains or to relocate quickly. You get what you pay for so don't expect a huge platform or the most comfortable seat but if you want multiple set ups on a low budget, these stands are the way to go. DO NOT USE THE SAFETY HARNESS that comes with the stands!!!!!!!!!!! I always use my Hunter's Safety System vest anytime I am hanging stands or hunting, but one day I decided to hang a new stand as a spur of the moment thing and I didn't have my vest. So I used the harness that came with the stand. I was winding steps into a particularly tough old white oak when the leg straps slipped. Luckily I was only about 3 feet off the ground at the time but I fell through the harness and the chest strap caught me under the chin. It snapped my head back and compressed my throat and wind pipe so bad that I had difficulty breathing, a sore throat, and I have problems to this day with swallowing. You can skimp on the stand but always buy the best safety harness!

I have started a new website with my hunting buddies where we post hunting videos, trail cam pictures, tales of the hunt, recipes, and tips that have help made us successful over the years, We would be honored if you folks would check us out at http://www.deer30outdoors.com and let us know what you think and what we can improve on, etc. Thank you.

jonny5buck

Re: My Life Flashed Before My Eyes

Postby jonny5buck » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:07 am

I agree that most harnesses that come with stands are ''sub-par''...no question about it...i use my linesman safety harness that came with my summit stand.

Im curious how the chest strap made it to your chin,and how the leg straps''slipped''....even the cheapy style have buckles that when worn properly should prevent such a mishap...Im not saying that you ''did'' do something wrong...but that even the ones that come with most stands offer a safe strap...did you have the the leg straps tight enough ,and high enough???...they should be almost squeezing your junk when worn correctly...too low on the leg and the will slide up along with the rst of the harness...regardless of the manufacturer

I put one on to show a friend how hard it was to get it on during the day ..let alone when its dark out...the one i used for the demonstration was almost ALL black ..it made it difficult to put on...a hassle really...but it still would have worked if you were willing to go thru all that and were already familar with the correct way to put one on...I for one do know how tight the straps and so forth do need to be..[borderline uncomfrotably tight]..thats the way they showed us in Carpenter training school many moons ago....we were also lifted up by a cherry picker and had to feel the pain a harness inflicts for 3 minutes...with improper strapping you could harm yourself MORE than do any good....this is just informational for novices not to be directed at the original poster if the harness was worn entirely correct....if the harness caused harm while worn correctly inform the manufacturer and post a pic of the harness to help spread the word-Jon~

SwampLife

Postby SwampLife » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:05 pm

DEER30 wrote: Comfort Zone treestands. don't expect a huge platform or the most comfortable seat

DEER30 wrote:but if you want multiple set ups on a low budget, these stands are the way to go.

I will stick with saddle and web.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:28 pm

I stick with my HSS.
Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:58 pm

Those cheap ass waste of a good cargo strap you get with new treestands now are impractical as tits on a bull. The manufacturers know it, they just don't want to have any lawsuits to deal with, so they throw in that freakin abomination they call a "safety harness". More like a bondage outfit. I chucked mine in the fire pit and decided to drop $150 for a HSS harness instead. I think lone wolf has stepped up and are adding actual HSS style harnesses with their stands now. Which probably ups the price on an already expensive piece of equipment.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

spearfisher

Postby spearfisher » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:48 pm

Just looked up the comfort zone stands too.....I think I'll stick with my cougar claw stands. I tend to get antsy up in a tree anyway. No way I could relax in that thing. Heavy sucker too. Glad your ok.

spencer

Postby spencer » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:40 am

Yeah, I will definitely stick with my HSS, too. those stands sound like they have a higher mortality rate for hunters than hunters have for deer!!! :cry:

Return to Tree Stands