Lone Wolf Alpha Climber versus ???

Have you ever fallen? Share your story ... it might save someone else's life!
DeanoZ

Lone Wolf Alpha Climber versus ???

Postby DeanoZ » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:44 am

Folks, I've been contemplating the purchase of a new climbing stand.  I'm am looking for a stand that is extremely light, quiet, portable and easy to set up in the dark.  Everything led me to believe the Lone Wolf Alpha Climber was the answer to my prayers...and then i looked at the reviews on Cabela's and Bass Pro.  The reviews for the most part were good and above board...but two things in some of the negative review stuck out...

1.  The cables are like a rubber fan belt with treads and a reinforced aircraft cables, which is great except they make it difficult to climb trees with very scaled bark..i.e. pine, hemlock, cedar trees.  I experienced this myself with my current climber which has a thick plastic coated cable.  Furthermore, if the tree has any knots or stubs on it you can forget about it and move on to another tree....the cable cannot will not get over it.

2.  The positioning of the climbing seat itself, being so close to the tree makes it very difficult to get any kind of leverage and pull yourself up.

Notwithstanding those two objections the stand is quite pricey at close to $360.00...OUCH!!!  Now I could avoid this altogether by going with a different stand, like the Summit Open Shot...similar characteristics  but about $100 cheaper or buy the Lone wolf sit and climb model.  However I want something light and portable, the sit and climb is another 5 lbs and I'm not convinced the open shot is as quiet as they claim.

So I'd like to know if anyone has any experience with the Lone Wolf Alpha climber, with regards to the above issues?  At this point I don't know anyone who has one that i can try nor is there a retail store nearby that would afford me that opportunity.  Thanks all for your help!

schlupis

RE: Lone Wolf Alpha Climber versus ???

Postby schlupis » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:34 pm

Dont know much about the Lone Wolf Climbers but I use Summit Climbers and am very impressed with them I think they are nice and light and super easy to set up and use in the dark...

bowbrown

Postby bowbrown » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:27 am

I have had a lonewolf sit and climb for around 6-8 years and love it yes they are pricey but in my opinion they are worth it. The only probelm I have had with the stand is with the seat but they have fixed that since I bought mine. The stand can be a little tricky to get up a tree with knots or rough bark but with a little practice shouldn't be much of a probelm. The only trees that I don't go up is a shag bark hickory and the are to noisey to climb anyways. My only suggestion is if you are a bigger guy buy the wide version I am 5' 10' 215# and I fit into the regular sit and climb but if I was any bigger I would want the wide one. If you do get the stand buy the foot rest and dont buy the bow gromet just buy a roll of good electrical tape and wrap the opening with that. My buddy just bought one last year and he loves it so much he bought his dad one. I don't think you would disappointed with this stand at all. Very solid and dependable. Let me know what decide on your new stand, just curious.

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:47 am

Thanks schlupis and bowbrown for the feedback.  Bowbrown the model I'm looking at is the Alpha Climber not the Sit and Climb model, but sounds liek they both use the same platform so probably have the same issues.  i don't mind paying the $$$ so long as it works as advertised.  One nice feature of the Summit Open shot is that the seat can flip up against the tree to give you more standing room.  Still on the fence and trying to find someone who is close by that will let me tryout both.  I'll keep ya'll posted for sure!

bowbrown

Postby bowbrown » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:28 am

Deanoz, one thing that a like about the sit and climb is the bar in the front just a little extra security in front of me when in the tree and you can sit in it if you ever want to face the tree and shoot behind you with a gun like I did last year. Also i think the sit and climb will be easier to climb with because of the bar. I never have had the bar get in the way of shooting if that is a concern of yours as it was of my buddy that bought one.

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:54 am

Well I "got off the fence" took the plunge and ordered the Alpha hand climber...but the neat thing is they now include the sit and climb strap, so that should alleviate any issues with having enough leverage to climb.  Thanks again for the feedback bowbrown, I actually opted for a stand that does not have a bar...for the very reason you stated...last year I had the perfect shot at an 8 point that was underneath me.  Unfortunately when I drew my bow back and then bent at the waist to sight in on him.."CLANK" the bow hit the bar and that was the end of the hunt.  From that point forward I removed the bar from my old stand and will never use one again.  It was a bit disconcerting from a safety perspective the first couple times I went without it, but I quickly got used to it and if nothing else it made me a bit more careful on the stand...and I figured as long as I have my safety strap on I should be good to go.  Can't wait to try the Lone Wolf out, just hoping it lives up to the hype and $$$.

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:03 pm

Just wanted to update everyone on this...today I finally managed to test out my new Lone Wolf Alpha Climber.  In a word I  LOVE IT!!!  It is extremely light at 14lbs so packing it into the woods was no issue...it was VERY quiet!  No clanking, popping, or noise whatsoever...even when climbing there was no distinct "metal screeching".  Climbing with it was a breeze...so much easier than my heavier stand. I did not find it flimsy or difficult to climb with.  Yes they are expensive, but the deals are out there and despite their high cost it was money well spent!

Amandavid47

Postby Amandavid47 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:20 pm

I hunted out of the Ol' Man for 10 years.  I have been using the Lone wolf Alpha climber this season.  I have about 20 hunts and alot of hours in it already.  There is just something I dont like about it.  Weight, climbing, everything is perfect. I just feal like I cant move.  The platform is so stable it feels like your on the ground.  I hope I get used to it or I am going back to the Ol' Man.  They have a new aluminum out but they sold the company so who knows?  I really want to love the Lone wolf but I just feel too contained in that high chair type stand?  Any comments?

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:03 am

ORIGINAL: Amandavid47

I hunted out of the Ol' Man for 10 years.  I have been using the Lone wolf Alpha climber this season.  I have about 20 hunts and alot of hours in it already.  There is just something I dont like about it.  Weight, climbing, everything is perfect. I just feal like I cant move.  The platform is so stable it feels like your on the ground.  I hope I get used to it or I am going back to the Ol' Man.  They have a new aluminum out but they sold the company so who knows?  I really want to love the Lone wolf but I just feel too contained in that high chair type stand?  Any comments?

I know what you mean and I will say this...the Alpha Hand climber is a bare bones climber...meaning it is low profile, smaller (compared to other mfg's), lighter weight platform.  There are no arm rests or lounger type seat.  Don't get me wrong , they are made great and perform well.  I have a dozen or so hunts under my belt with it and I still feel a bit uncomfortable and move VERY carefully and deliberately.  For sure it's not for the feint of heart or someone who has a fear of heights!  I have gotten more comfortable with it and I think in time that "uncomfortable feeling" will pass.  Despite that the pros of its portability and ease of use far outweigh my "uneasiness"

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:12 pm

Probably been said already...Lone Wolf has some awesome stands but they are pricey.  If you can spend the money go for it!!!!
QDM!

Next

Return to Tree Stands