What is your shortest tree stand?

Have you ever fallen? Share your story ... it might save someone else's life!
msbadger

What is your shortest tree stand?

Postby msbadger » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:09 am

Mr.B. and his family don't hunt high...so I saw this pine that a poacher had cut the top out of and thought...hmm...the 4x4 is just under my shouder hight an I'm 5'5"....the second pic is a view down the hill in front of stand...Whats your shortest stand?...

="http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/madbadger/IMG_0670.jpg" border="0" alt="my shortest tree stand"></a>

="http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/madbadger/IMG_0673.jpg" border="0" alt="down hill view from shortest stand"></a>

Patriot

RE: What is your shortest tree stand?

Postby Patriot » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:20 am

My shortest stand can't be more than 7 feet of the ground...since I can set my bow up there from the ground.

It is on level ground however.  I have killed several deer with a bow from that spot.  One of them was a 1.5 year old buck just 2 steps from the base of the tree.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Swandog09

Postby Swandog09 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:15 pm

My shortest stand is probably 16 foot ladder stand that I don't hunt much except for deer drives for rifles season. 

I prefer to be higher up.  I like my bow stands to be around 20 ft at the base. 
That's why they call it hunting and not getting

stormshooter4

Postby stormshooter4 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:18 pm

Years ago I had made a wooden ladder stand from plans I had seen in Outdoor Life. It was 12' to the seat off the ground. I used it many years til someone wrecked it. My most memorable day in it was the late afternoon on the1st day of gun season. The party I was with had already taken 2 8points that morning. Both of their deer came in grunting. I climbed up in my stand later in the afternoon and pretty soon I heard this commotion coming around the hill. Here was a buck chasing a doe, grunting all the way. The doe stopped out in front of my stand about 20 yards out and the buck actually walked under my stand between the tree and the ladder. I had to wait till he got out 30-35 yards before shooting him wuth the gun. Nice 6 pointer.
There's nothing like being in the outdoors. Work is boring!

active NWTF member

NRA member

Hardwater nut

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:25 pm

I've always thought the higher you up (to a certain degree), the better you are.  Obviously you don't want to have a tight angle to shoot down at your target.  I usually hunt 20-25 feet up.  My shortest right now I think is about 15 feet.  BUT, I think that height doesn't matter to an extent if you can control your scent, movement, and camo.  As you can see it just makes it tougher to hunt low...You can get away with more things the higher up you are.  But, sometimes this can be your only option and it can be done!!!  Glass half full!!!
QDM!

Legnip

Postby Legnip » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:07 pm

The shortest one that I have ever hunted from was a 2'-3' high stump that I used to stand on top of and bow hunt from, back in my younger days.
From those who much is given, much is expected

Bluegrass Archer

Postby Bluegrass Archer » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:10 pm

We have some wooden stands that are 7-10ft. tall. I really dont mind being too low because i hunt in alot of thick cover. i even have a few trees that are perfect to climb up in and get 5-7ft. off the ground and i pulled off a doe doing that last year. got to really be careful with your scent when your that low tho

Bluegrass Archer

Postby Bluegrass Archer » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:11 pm

We have some wooden stands that are 7-10ft. tall. I really dont mind being low because i hunt in alot of thick cover. i even have a few trees that are perfect to climb up in and get 5-7ft. off the ground and i pulled off a doe doing that last year. got to really be careful with your scent when your that low tho

Return to Tree Stands