tree saddles

Have you ever fallen? Share your story ... it might save someone else's life!
DeanoZ

RE: tree saddles

Postby DeanoZ » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:42 am

Thanks for the feedback Joe, I'm going to continue using the screw-ins for now and invest in the climbing sticks for spots where I can't use screw ins.  I also bought the strap-on Ameristeps for the platform...just curious what typre of ratched strap (size and make) did you use for that?

joaxe

Postby joaxe » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:42 am

DeanoZ,

I think that this is the one I am using (bought 2 of them):

http://www.strapworks.com/Ratchet_Straps_p/ros1h.htm

I also think that I ordered the strap at 8 ft. long (you can always cut the excess on an angle and melt the end with a lighter) but, at that length, I don't have a problem with any tree I hunt from.  I chose the black coated ratchet with a "woodland camo" strap.  They have just about any strap configuration you would ever need.  I also use an old spring-loaded cam buckle from an old strap-on style tree step.  I place that after the AmeriStep steps are on the strap.  This way, after I remove the ratchet strap from the tree, I can move the cam buckle up to prevent the AmeriStep steps from clacking together.

I continue to use the Sticks because I hunt a lot of public land and some private land.  I don't want to damage any trees on the private land that I am hunting.  And, in PA, on state land, you simply are prohibited from using anything that will damage the inner bark (cabrium) of the tree...a.k.a. no screw-ins! [:'(]

Hope that helps!

Joe

BirdMan

Postby BirdMan » Fri May 08, 2009 3:24 am

Got my saddle in the mail the other day and I'm looking forward to trying it out but it won't stop raining.  We do need the rain though.  I'm confused by the size chart trophyline uses.  I have a 36" waist so I ordered the large.  It's supposed to go from 34"-42".  Even when I cinch it up all the way it's not very snug.  I hope this won't be a problem.  Any thoughts?

joaxe

Postby joaxe » Fri May 08, 2009 3:52 am

Bird,

My "dimensions" are about the same and I have the Large.  Keep in mind the clothes that you will be wearing later in the season.  That may compensate for the "loose" feeling.  However, my Saddle does not cinch down tightly either (I think that's where the shoulder straps come into play - otherwise, I see no use for them and some peeps have even cut them off).  However, it's on good enough to climb and get situated.  The belt gets loosened anyway once you attach to the tree.

Hope you enjoy it!  Its awesome... [:)]

P.S. I would even try it in the rain to simulate hunting in the rain.  That way, you'll have experience setting up when its wet out....cuz it ain't dry every day during the season! [:D]

Joe

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Fri May 08, 2009 7:34 am

Bird,

yes despite their sizing chart, they do tend to run a bit big.  I have a 34" waist and figured with the extra layers I ought to get a large.  Despite the layers its still a bit large, but I can cinch the saftey strap snug so thats all that matters.  As Joaxe said the shoulder straps help keep it around your waist, otherwise they are useless and I've heard alot of guys say they cut them off..and i think I might as well...they just seem to get in the way more than help.  The only other thing I'll add is practice, practice, practice, before you actually hunt out of it...i made that mistake, aside from that its a great piece of gear and I can't wait to hunt from it this fall.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Fri May 08, 2009 12:45 pm

You could always try putting on a few pounds to make it fit right! [:D]
QDM!

BirdMan

Postby BirdMan » Mon May 11, 2009 3:59 am

Thanks for the info guys.  I will definitely try it in the rain, but probably not a good idea for my first time.  I'm looking forward to trying it out.  Sounds like it will work fine if it's a bit loose.  Hey, if I put on some weight to make it fit then I'll have a legit reason to tell the wife [:D]

rweyman

Postby rweyman » Thu May 14, 2009 4:33 am

Hey all you tree saddle fans; Cabelas has the tree saddles in their bargain cave on cabelas.com (5/14/09).  Just thought you might be interested.

Ranger6

Postby Ranger6 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:35 am

I bought one this spring but I still have not had a chance to set it up. What do you think the maximum diameter tree I could set up in with this system?

Thanks
Tom

the turkey guy

Postby the turkey guy » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:47 am

only thing is you have to be able to get the hook from the other side of the tree. so as far a your arms can reach. thanks rob.

PreviousNext

Return to Tree Stands