Stand on Tree line

Have you ever fallen? Share your story ... it might save someone else's life!
VA Hunter

Stand on Tree line

Postby VA Hunter » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:12 pm

I've placed a stand on a tree line edge and seem to spook the deer coming out of the thick stuff.  I'm in a 20' ladder stand.  Should I be further in the woods?  The reason I moved the stand out was that I've seen the deer travel the same path all season and I'm trying to get closer.  In three hunts I have seen deer come out into the field and turn back into the woods. 

paulie

RE: Stand on Tree line

Postby paulie » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:39 pm

If your right in line with the trail there using, they may be seein you. Or it could be that they notice the stand (that wasnt there before), maybe try to conceal your stand a bit. Even though they dont see "you", they might see the ladder.

VA Hunter

Postby VA Hunter » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:00 pm

Conceiling the ladder is a good idea.  Ladder stands do stand out like a sore thumb!  Any ideas on how to?

Goose

Postby Goose » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:29 pm

I doubt you'll be able to do anything anymore to conceal the stand. I would try setting up in a different spot and count your losses. Ladder stands will work if they are put in early enough and blend in. Maybe leave that one there and get them before they get to it. I may be wrong but I don't think you'll get that stand to work anymore this year if they are aware of it.

There was a suggestion on one of the threads about using fake limbs from Christmas tree's.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

VA Hunter

Postby VA Hunter » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:02 pm

My next option is to set up right on top where they cross onto the property I hunt.  It's a fence line where the fence is down.  I've seen them cross there everytime all season.  I'm not big on hunting fences but the bedding area where they're coming from has no hunting pressure.  For example, I was in the stand today at 2:30 pm.  At 3:40 7 does walked right through the gate (onto the property) @ 50 yards.  3 walked right down to the bottom and 4 stayed there and fed.  After about 20 mins they became very alert and headed back to woods.  I waited till dark and had 3 more come out and do the same thing.  I wear Scent-Lok and spray down prior.  Help me out!  P.S. Our late season goes untill 3/28 

Woody

Postby Woody » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:26 pm

I know that you are spraying down and wearing scent-lok but are you sitting with the right kind of wind?                Just checkin...
When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 ft. closer to God.

VA Hunter

Postby VA Hunter » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:41 pm

Actually, 90% of the time the wind blows NNW.  The last two day's I've been blown, the wind has been opp.  I might leave the stand put.  Oh, the joy.

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:53 pm

If at all possible, try getting off the field edge and move 40 or so yards into the woods.

That way it should help break up your stand and silhouette against the skyline.

Good luck!
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Goose

Postby Goose » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:12 pm

Wind is #1 especially late season they are ultra leery!
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

VA Hunter

Postby VA Hunter » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:52 pm

I'm going to try again with the right wind, if that doesn't work I'm moving right on top of the crossing. 

Next

Return to Tree Stands