how many of us

Have you ever fallen? Share your story ... it might save someone else's life!
howhill1

how many of us

Postby howhill1 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:00 pm

how many of us have a contingency plan in place in the event of a fall?
i admit that until this year i really didnt. 5 min hanging in a harness can kill you from suspension trauma. this year i will make sure to tie myself off high enough to keep me from falling only a few inches below my platform so i can just step back on. i will also be carrying a strap to tie to my harness that wlii give somthing to stand up in if i cant to relieve the pressure on my legs. a folding screw in step can be carried as well to create a foot hold. a cell phone can be a lifesaver too. all of these things wont help at all if there not on you where you can get them easily. i went out in the yard this afternoon and practiced (afew feet off the ground) from my climber hanging from my harness standing with strap and remounting my stand. something to consider.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

msbadger

RE: how many of us

Postby msbadger » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:21 am

I've always made sure that I was tide off or hooked in so that I can JUST comfortably sit in my stand...that way if I were to fall asleep or shot ...or pass out..... the worse I'd do is swing around into the tree...I do the same in my climber and make sure the foot platform is connected to the seat in 2 places not just one...I also carry a hook that should I loose the platform for any reason .....I can use my tow rope.... which I tie off to my seat before climbing...to retreave it

JPH

Postby JPH » Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:39 am

There is no substitute for proper safety equipment and a good game plan. I wear a full body harness and keep a cell phone in a pocket that can be easily reached.

That being said, there is also no substitute for a reasonable strength-to-weight ratio, although we try. Many, many hunters cannot do a single pull-up or press themselves off of a limb!

I know I harp on this a lot (and rarely get a response) but someone has to say it! We cannot spend our way around a reasonable level of fitness. That is not to say that a hunter who cannot muscle themselves up after a fall should not be hunting from a tree, but they should be very careful (ladder stands w/ railings) and they should work to improve their strength.

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:03 am

Well said Howhill1, it`s important to have your anchor line attached to the tree high enough that if you do fall, it`s an easy step over to the platform.

This is also such an impoertant discussion, it`s really a shame more haven`t gotten involved. Planning for a fall from a treestand is like planning for a fire at home, or any other emergency you`d try to be prepared for. Yet, I`ve been guilty too, of not really being ready for this event.

JPH is right too, we should be physically able to rescue ourselves, and the boils down to physical strength, but how many of us stay fit? I know, at 51, I`m so far removed from my football days, I have no where near the arm strength I had back then.

Great thread, and I hope more get involved and consider what they`ll do in the event of a fall.

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:15 am

I use a full body harness and always attach it to a tree high enough that if I did fall, it will keep me within reach of my stand.  Having never fallen I don't really know how this would work, but that along with packing a cell phone, where I could hopefully reach it and always letting someone know at least what property I'm hunting is my plan.  Plus I always call my wife when I get to my jeep to let her know I'm out of the woods.

JPH brings up a good point, you should really consider you physical abilities when choosing a stand.

Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

JPH

Postby JPH » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:39 pm

Ahh, another good point. Make shure someone knows were you are!

Calling home once you are out of the woods is a good idea. Thanks OHhunter.

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:55 pm

I still use the old school safety belt, but plan to upgrade to a harness very soon.  I always carry my knife on my hip, so I could cut the cord if absolutely needed.  Bad idea I know.  I NEED to get a harness. 

Thanks for bringing up this important topic.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:50 am

ORIGINAL: JPH

There is no substitute for proper safety equipment and a good game plan. I wear a full body harness and keep a cell phone in a pocket that can be easily reached.

That being said, there is also no substitute for a reasonable strength-to-weight ratio, although we try. Many, many hunters cannot do a single pull-up or press themselves off of a limb!

I know I harp on this a lot (and rarely get a response) but someone has to say it! We cannot spend our way around a reasonable level of fitness. That is not to say that a hunter who cannot muscle themselves up after a fall should not be hunting from a tree, but they should be very careful (ladder stands w/ railings) and they should work to improve their strength.

Your point is well taken JPH, as long as none confuse it with the real point and that being that a 200 lb man falling three feet down generates something like 1700 lbs of impact force and so you can be as ripped and in shape as a human can be, and if your not wearing a full body harness properly installed  then you are taking your life in your hands.

With anything less than a full body, it can be minutes before you're in real trouble.

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:46 am

I bought a Hunter Safety System a few years ago . I balked at buying it due to weight and price . Then I thought about the price of being able to walk !
I purchased one and I don't go in a treestand without it . I tie it off so I will have minimal distance to fall ( if I should ) . The tether line has 3 break-aways sewn into it so the impact of falling is reduced . The restraints that go around your legs are fastened with thing that look like auto safety belt buckles .

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:20 am

ORIGINAL: fasteddie

I bought a Hunter Safety System a few years ago . I balked at buying it due to weight and price . Then I thought about the price of being able to walk !
I purchased one and I don't go in a treestand without it . I tie it off so I will have minimal distance to fall ( if I should ) . The tether line has 3 break-aways sewn into it so the impact of falling is reduced . The restraints that go around your legs are fastened with thing that look like auto safety belt buckles .

Yes, this is what I went to recently and it has to be one of the best innovations in safety gear in a long time. Who didn't/doesn't hate fumbling around with some of the conventional 4 point harnesses? Not conducive to wearing one that's for sure. My vest goes on over my camos when I go out the door. I carry extra tree straps and if I'm coming back soon to that stand I leave the strap around the tree. Then next time up I attach a steel carabiner to the end of my tether (a real steel climbers carabiner, not an aluminum one with a flashlight built in) and just clip on to the strap, no muss, no fuss no noise.

Next

Return to Tree Stands