Prussic Hitch or Safety Vest Tree Strap?

Have you ever fallen? Share your story ... it might save someone else's life!
shadow

Prussic Hitch or Safety Vest Tree Strap?

Postby shadow » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:40 pm

I've got a short length of climbing rope that came with my summit stand that has a prussic hitch on it. When you climb you move the rope up the tree with you.
Am I able to use this with my HSS safety vest instead of the strap and buckle that goes around the tree that came with my vest?  It seems to be quicker to use than unbuckling the strap from around the tree each time you move higher. I will also need to use the steel quick link that came with the prussic hitch to attach to my vest tether.
Also how safe is the prussic hitch/knot, its a looped rope going around the tree, will it tighten and grab the tree? and the knot itself that will hold as well?  I realize they wouldn't be supplying this  if it was unsafe, but just a simple rope and knot arresting a fall?

JOEL

RE: Prussic Hitch or Safety Vest Tree Strap?

Postby JOEL » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:13 pm

buy a caribenier and use it with your hss thats what i do.then i attach the strap to the tree,you dont need that metal thing that summit uses, and yes it will stop you try it hitch the prussic up and pull down HARD and see what happens
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

shaman

Postby shaman » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:41 am

The Prussic Knot is a knot found commonly with climbers, and is used for just what you're intending. I used to use a Prussic when I was caving. It's safe in theory.  In practice, you need to make sure the line has sufficient strength to hold you.  Also remember to keep the knot as high up the rope as possible, keeping the distance you might fall to a minimum.  The longer you fall before being arrested, the stronger the force and the better chance the line has of snapping.  Replace the whole rig if you do take a spill. It might not cover you the second time around.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

shadow

Postby shadow » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:06 pm

After looking into these and reading your responses, I'll be using the one that came with my stand attached to my vest.  tHANKS

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:39 pm

ive known or know of several guys who've fallen. one was a fatality. i had a fall arrested about 8 yrs back . i try to be very aware of safety up in and down the tree. we all know mr murphy is right around the corne at all times.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:41 pm

d&dh did a art. on this a while back . soon as i put my hands on the issue ill let yall know which one it was.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:40 pm

the article was by scott bestul. it was featured in the june 07 issue. in it he says they installed one on every stand on they're property for about nine bucks each. he doesnt however say what kind of rope they used or where they got it.

oldrookie

Postby oldrookie » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:43 am

I made my own setup just as you decribed. I used 9mm bluewater climbing rope and 7mm for the prussic knot and attach the prussic knot to my vest. I use this instead of the strap that comes with the vest. I find it gives me more mobility. If your not comfortable with the knot and rope, by all means, use the strap that comes with the vest.

Good luck and be safe.

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:09 am

Hunter Safety Systems sells what they call, a "Tree Stand Life-Line". It`s made to use assending and descending your tree using all types of stands and climbing devices. My buddy and I have just begun using them because they`re one of a very few devices capable of being used in conjunction with a ladderstand.

It`s basically what you describe , as it uses the Prussic knot to go up and down, but the anchor rope attaches to the tree above your stand and keeps you secured to the tree from the moment you leave the ground.

It may be worth a look for you all.

Return to Tree Stands