Are the prices keeping you from buying a safety harness?

Have you ever fallen? Share your story ... it might save someone else's life!
8uck5nort

RE: Are the prices keeping you from buying a safety harness?

Postby 8uck5nort » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:03 am

ORIGINAL: MSHunter

Hi 8uck5nort,
That may work, but I'm sure it will void any warranty on the harness (if one exists) since it has been modified.
Harnesses are made to specific standards: the thickness of the webbing, the thickness of the thread used to sew it together,
the number and type of stitching used to sew the harness, the placement and selection of d-rings and buckles, tensile strength etc.
Why not wear the harness as is?

Unfortunately, your probably right about the warranties on the harness. [:@] laywers!

However, the web style harness are just a royal pain to try to put on for that morning hunt in the dark. A vest style is much easier cause the vest material holds everyhing into place while you put it on. As far as I can tell that is all the vest part really does.

They are expensive. Why? Not sure myself, but as far as I can tell they are not any safer to wear than the non-vest style harness. The non-vest style is just more difficult and cumbersome to use. If price is keeping people from using them or becuase they are a pain to use, and if there is a low cost DIY alternative then there is no excuse for not wearing a harness. Regardless of the [:@] lawyers. (Don't even get me started there, mumble, mumble, blood sucking, parasite, vampires, mumble...)[;)]
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

vipertech

Postby vipertech » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:14 am

I've been using a Seat-of-the-pants harness for several years.  Thank God I've never had to test it.  

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:34 am

I bought a "Gorilla" brand vest at the end of season two years ago. They had it marked down to $5.00 at WalMart. It unzips and I put my Summit Seat-O-The-Pants harness right inside of it.It has slots for all the straps and buckles to come through. No sewing necessary and the warranty is still valid.

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:42 am

Goose your experience made the latest D&DH Email Newsletter, you're famous! Seriously though, I've said it before, glad you're ok. I bet things have sunk in good since visiting the doctor and finding out just how bad it almost was!

I'll be getting my HSS Vest with my next paycheck this Friday. As part of the Bass Pro Rewards program I just received a $20 coupon for an online purchase of $100 or more so I'll be using it to purchase my vest. Last year I didn't have a vest and I was hesitant to go above about 10 feet high and that probably cost me a deer sighting or two. Good to know I won't have that problem this year.

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:33 am

I bought an HSS reversible vest a couple years ago. The price is worth it considering the consequences. Every stand I've bought has come with a safety harness. They may not be as easy to put on as a harness with a vest but that's a POOR EXCUSE IMO not to use one. You can't spare 2 min. +- of your time to ensure your safety? I wear these when putting up or taking down stands and save my vest for hunting. They get easier to use with practice!!!!!
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:02 am

I use one of the old style safety belts...just a loop wrapped around the tree with a buckle to adjust it to fit. It saved my bacon one day while hanging a homemade stand. The s-hook on the stand to attach the chain to was not stout enough and as I set the stand by forcing my weight down, it let go, and I was dangling 25 feet off the ground. I quickly got on the screw in steps and was able to climb down. 

I always have a spare safety belt in my pack.  I got a harness with a stand I bought last year, but it does not fit well over hunting clothes and it limits removing an outer layer if the weather warms. 

In all fairness, I haven't checked out the vests much.  I can tell first hand that injuries can hit you at any time. Feeling pain daily is not a fun thing.

Jim 
Luck Counts, good or bad

SwampFox

Postby SwampFox » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:29 am

It's true that you cant put a dollar value on your life.  But are harness manufacturers using this idea to charge outragous prices?  Does it really cost them $150 plus to make one of these rigs?  I use a saftey strap but I admit it isnt the best and would probably squeeze my guts out if I ever fell.  I just think if companies like hunter saftey systems really wanted to keep people safe they could find a way to get the price down for the average joe.

Goose

Postby Goose » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:51 am

The tree stalker by hunter safety system is 84.99 at cabelas, compare to some of the other stuff that I have for hunting- I think that is reasonable considering my other gear will not protect me from a 20ft fall.
There are also other companies out there that make good products, but like everything there is "top" model that costs more.
I have talked to the people that make the Hunter Safety System vest and they are great people who are looking out for the hunter and actually care about them. They are great people and they make a great product.
Are they also interested in making money off of it, I'm sure they are, but I cant hold anything against them for that.

Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Ifishandhunt

Postby Ifishandhunt » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:59 am

I wear the HSS vest. I was fortunate enough to have one given to me, but it does not have the suspension straps. I need to get a set. Prior to that I was using the harnesses that came with tree stands. They were aweful cumbersome and I am sure I opted not to wear it a couple times. In hind sight it was not smart but I am thankful I was safe those times. I have read a handful of articles this year about tree stand falls and I have to tell you, they scared the snot out of me (it's not a matter of 'if' it happens, but rather it's a matter of 'when' it happens). I have a lot to live for... a wonderful wife and awesome children and hopefully many more years of hunting deer. One bad accident, and it's all gone or at a minimum your quality of life could be greatly diminished! It affects you and those that love you. We pay more than $150 for unnecessary things at times but in the long run a safety vest (or harness) is worth it. It's basically paying for an extra insurance policy and hopefully you never need it. I do wish HSS prices were lower because I cannot believe it costs that much to manufacture that they have to mark it up so high.

One thing I am still guilty of is not strapping myself in a vest/harnness when I am hanging my permanent stands. It's hard to carry a stand up the tree and manipulate the tether that is around the tree. Also when I climb my ladder stand, I have to wait until I am up top to strap in.  But when I use a stand with cllimbing sticks I still don't strap in until I am up on the stand, that probably needs to change.

crittergitter

Postby crittergitter » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:14 pm

i just totally amazes me ! people will go spend $500 plus on a bow ( and replace it every 2 or 3 years when a new one comes out ) set it up with the best of everything, $100 plus on arrows , $10-$15 apiece for broadheads , $250 for carbon suits , $150 and up for hunting boots , $150 and up for range finders ,but wont spend $100 on something that is proven to save your life ! just dont get it !

PreviousNext

Return to Tree Stands