Entering and Exiting treestands in the AM and PM

Have you ever fallen? Share your story ... it might save someone else's life!
blchandler1981@yahoo.com

Entering and Exiting treestands in the AM and PM

Postby blchandler1981@yahoo.com » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:17 am

I'm kind of new to bowhunting, but my question is whats the best way to enter and exit your treestands in the morning and evening w/o having the luxury to drive up to your stand. I live here in Kansas and I have to walk 1/4 to 1/2mi through open fields to get to the group of trees where my stand is located. No way I could be dropped off or drive an ATV due to barb fenced sections of cattle and crops.

jonny5buck

Re: Entering and Exiting treestands in the AM and PM

Postby jonny5buck » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:45 pm

blchandler1981@yahoo.com wrote:I'm kind of new to bowhunting, but my question is whats the best way to enter and exit your treestands in the morning and evening w/o having the luxury to drive up to your stand. I live here in Kansas and I have to walk 1/4 to 1/2mi through open fields to get to the group of trees where my stand is located. No way I could be dropped off or drive an ATV due to barb fenced sections of cattle and crops.

Several factors but if i was busting deer in the morning i would try getting in my stand way earlier or eliminate morning hunts altogether...crossing an open field isnt ideal but if the deer arent feeding in it or close by than i would venture thru at a walk and stop method..and would use no light if possible....Usually deer are heading back to their beds in the morning...if i was hunting this spot and seeing deer i would opt to take a lunch and tough it out...try sitting longer thru the morning and see if it develops into sighting deer.

Evening hunts i usually prefer to get into my stand an hour or 2 before most hunters...say if most guys are walking to their stands at 3-30 for an evening hunt i am usually in mine by 1-130pm to 2o'clock...there is always the deer that move a little earlier and later than most others...The big key here is can you get in in either scenario without having deer blow air or hearing them run??? ...if your busting in the morning they are prob. bedding in that field...same thing with evenings...if your scaring deer stop that hunt and only hunt the other ...Good luck~

pgchambers

Postby pgchambers » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:32 am

For me long walks are part of the deal. I try and dress light for the walk, and put on extra layers when I get to the stand if it is cold. Start early so you can take your time, because you want to sweat as little as possible.
Respect - don't take it, unless you are willing to give it.
Responsibility - don't give it, unless you are willing to take it.

Dylan

Postby Dylan » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:39 pm

Take your time. Patience is your pal.

;)

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:55 pm

Couple schools of thought, since your traveling through open fields.

Get there in the dark so deer will not see you, or if they are spooked, do not know what by and will settle down quickly enough. Or leave at first light so you can see where you are going and if any deer are about to spook. If you see a deer walking in during daylight, try a spot and stalk on it.

Same goes for the evening hunt, get in earlier than usual prior to deer movement and you should be good.

Using game cameras to figure out when deer are moving is also an excellent way to pick the best times to get to your stand.

Good luck.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Return to Tree Stands