Any close calls? Did you fall?

Have you ever fallen? Share your story ... it might save someone else's life!
wordbird

RE: Any close calls? Did you fall?

Postby wordbird » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:13 pm

Yes, I have fallen and yes, I had serious injuries. I posted this link to my story in the general hunting area before I saw this. Here it is again. Y'all be careful out there.
http://www.tnhunting.com/stories/garrett/billyword.html

shadow

Postby shadow » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:00 pm

The old waiststraps, when I started deer hunting back in '89 or '90 I would use one. I thought I was very safe with it on, I would even at times nod off asleep 12-15 feet up thinking I was ok.
Luckily I never had an accident where I needed that strap to arrest my fall. That would have been real painfull, now that I think of it the strap was tight around my waist and the rope that was around the tree was just looped around it without it being tighted. I probably would have had it twist as I lost balance and went head first all the way to the ground! The good old days.

Robert Rowland

Postby Robert Rowland » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:29 pm

I don't have many places where I can use a climbing stand, but I did have one area that is hard to get to and had a few good climbing trees so I bought a cheap climber at Wal Mart.  I practiced on a tree in the yard and felt pretty good using it. Then I was in the woods, trying to be quiet while climbing the tree when the foot part slipped down. I was hanging from the seat with my arms above it. I had the straps hooked up so I could not lose the foot part. I pulled it back up and everything was OK after that, but I just cant enjoy hunting with the pucker factor at 100% for extended periods. Yea I had a harness on, and probably would not have gone more than a couple more feet down before it caught, but I think I'll stick with ladder stands and ground blinds.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:36 am

I've had my foot platform on both my Ami. stand and my tree lounge slip....... but I them secured to top section and was able to pull them back up...but thats because I had ties on both sides to pull up from....I also on all permanant stands have a eye hook that I hook into before stepping on to the stand...this hook is positioned so that when I am seated that my harness is comfortably taught...that way I never fall lower than platform and at most if I fall asleep I'd swing to the side ..wacking the side of tree

dxthunter57

Postby dxthunter57 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:40 am

I Almost did
i was climbing up the tree with my climber and i forgot to secure the two together and my foot slipt out of the lop and the bottom half fell to the ground and i was hanging there with the top half i was able to pull myself up and sit on the edge of the top half
i wrapped my legs around the tree and slid down and climbed back up with the bottom half
it was kinda scary
since than i have used the ropes to keep them together and i wear a sfety harness
i use the ones that go between ur legs and around each leg almost like a life jacket
that way if i do fall im not hanging from my stand head first

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:07 am

As I had posted on the other, (better) site, yes, I`ve fallen. It was the late 2005 season, and I was climbing up into a 2-man ladder stand, put together by someone else. The stand obviously wasn`t a higher quality stand, as the places where the ladder sections connects didn`t have pins to keep them together, and I was dumped onto my back from 16 feet up, in the pitch black of early morning.

I knew I had lost some feeling in my left hand, but have since, just recently, found out I`ve lost some of the muscle in my injured left hand. I`m having some tests done late this month, due to the obvious muscle loss, the loss of grip strength as well as dexterity.

I`m lucky to only be losing some function in my hand, the outcome could have been much worse.

4bucks

Postby 4bucks » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:32 pm

Yes I have fallen. 2005 Late October using a climbing stand. My fall was from a whopping 2 feet off the ground. The result? a completely destroyed knee joint. Anterior Cruciate Ligament, Medial Collateral Ligament, Lateral Collateral  Ligament ,torn meniscus. Why did I fall? For starters I was in a rush to get hunting and decided not to secure my harness to the tree prior to boarding the stand. I had the body harness on just not hooked up. How did I fall? I placed the foot climber at a steeper angle than what would be considered appropriate. When I stepped on the foot climber I lifted my right leg over the seat climber bar.(so far so good) As I lifted my left leg over the seat climber the foot climber kicked out. This caused the seat climber bar in front of the seat to act as a fulcrum with my body weight. My foot was trapped under the far side of the seat climber bar as I fell. this caused my knee to bend at a right angle ( Think of looking straight down at your leg but your foot is 90 degrees to the side away from your knee!) A horrific tearing sound and then landing head first on the ground. My head landed 6 inches away from a large rock. To this day I am grateful that I am alive. The pain was excruciating but thanks to a cell phone and a friend who knew my location I made it out of the woods. Surgery and recooperation were about 6 months! If there is anything I could stress to anyone it is this: WEAR YOUR HARNESS!!! and HOOK TO THE TREE BEFORE BOARDING THE STAND! Had I been hooked in I still might have fallen but I do not believe my injuries would have been so severe. Have emergency communication! Cell phone, radio something even a whistle. Let someone know where you are! Lastly, I do not blame the stand manufacturer. I was using a quality well known stand which I had used dozens of times before. Had I taken my time and chose my stand site with more scrutiny and had I hooked in I would not be writing this. Hunt hard and hunt safe!

Gafrage

Postby Gafrage » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:42 pm

I had a close call one time.  I use a climber, and usually during the gun season I go up between 6-10 feet, just to get a better vantage point.  I don't care too much about scent, as they are usually running through, and are pretty much right on top of me before they smell me.

Anyway, for the story.  I was in my stand, and I heard some crunching behind me, so I turned around.  My foot got hooked on the straps that you insert your foot into on the base platform.  It jarred loose, and it dropped so I was hanging from my arms, and luckily caught.  I then, weaseled my foot through the other one, and slowly lifted my legs and settled it evenly.  Then I moved my upper part of the climber down to me.  I have since used a rope that tie the two together.  Have not had a close call or anything close to that since.

Also, the noise I heard, was a group of 5 does.  I ended up getting 3 of them, even with all of the noise.

stormshooter4

Postby stormshooter4 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:04 am

I do remember the days of the waist harness. How I would adjust it to see how far out I could lean in case I had to shoot in close. Not imagining what could happen if it didn't hold. Luckily I never had to test or use it that way. Now it rides under the seat of the 4 wheeler used as a tow harness for deer. A quick wrap around and tied to the rear rack.
  Another show when you watch you won't see them in harnesses either is the Drury Bro. Dream Season. I remember one segment of their show was treestand saftey, and yet in the next session, no harnesses. Duh!
There's nothing like being in the outdoors. Work is boring!

active NWTF member

NRA member

Hardwater nut

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:04 pm

ORIGINAL: stormshooter4

I do remember the days of the waist harness. How I would adjust it to see how far out I could lean in case I had to shoot in close. Not imagining what could happen if it didn't hold. Luckily I never had to test or use it that way. Now it rides under the seat of the 4 wheeler used as a tow harness for deer. A quick wrap around and tied to the rear rack.
Another show when you watch you won't see them in harnesses either is the Drury Bro. Dream Season. I remember one segment of their show was treestand saftey, and yet in the next session, no harnesses. Duh!

I'm a big fan of the Drury shows and I don't think I have ever seen them WITHOUT a safety harness.  Maybe I missed something but they are by far probably the most informative crew out there on deer hunting, and that goes along with hunter safety!

PreviousNext

Return to Tree Stands