Rage's and shoot through blinds

ARROWSMITH

RE: Rage's and shoot through blinds

Postby ARROWSMITH » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:24 pm

The other day I went to wally world and bought some Crimson Talon Hyperspeed broadheads, just to try them out.  They didn't group in the same place as my mechanicals, and field points, but the did group well (just 6" to the left).  Today I shot a deer through my shoot through blind and the Crimson Talon's  performed flawlessly.  The deer ran a total of 70-80yd then piled up.  I followed the blood trail just to compare it to the Rage blood trail I followed the day of my first post on this thread.  For the first 30 yards there was very little blood at all but when it did start to flow, it flowed well and the trail was easy to follow.

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:23 am

ORIGINAL: ARROWSMITH

The other day I went to wally world and bought some Crimson Talon Hyperspeed broadheads, just to try them out.  They didn't group in the same place as my mechanicals, and field points, but the did group well (just 6" to the left).  Today I shot a deer through my shoot through blind and the Crimson Talon's  performed flawlessly.  The deer ran a total of 70-80yd then piled up.  I followed the blood trail just to compare it to the Rage blood trail I followed the day of my first post on this thread.  For the first 30 yards there was very little blood at all but when it did start to flow, it flowed well and the trail was easy to follow.

I guess it's my eyesight, but I hate trying to look through the shoot through mesh. I never feel like I can see as well. It is a pain sometimes trying to position the blind so that the open windows don't cause suspicion but I just can't see as well.

ARROWSMITH

Postby ARROWSMITH » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:06 am

I love my blind.  I've shot 2 deer through it this year alone, and other than the above mentioned problem with the rages, I've had none. I can take a book, lunch and pretty much whatever else I want to the blind with me as long as it doesn't make noise or smell too much. 

I will often sit and read a book to break up the hours of bordom and I get to sit in a comfortable chair instead of sitting in my stand with a very low and uncomfortable seat height.  I have the freedom of movement even when deer are present, just as long as I'm quiet.  I don't have to buy expensive camo to be worn only during hunting season and I always have a good supply of black shirts, hats, etc in my wardrobe .

Blinds are comparable to if not cheaper than most stands (depending on what you buy of course).  I bought my stand at wally world some 5 or 6 years ago for $99, but purchased my blind from Sportmans Guide 2 years ago for $78.  The thing sets up in literally less than a minute (you'd have to be pretty good with a climber to get your butt up a tree that fast).  Mine even came with a back pack type carring case that I can (and have) shoot my bow while wearing. 

The best part about blinds is YOU CAN'T FALL OUT OF THEM.[:D]

Your are right about being able to see through some of these meshes, mine is not to bad but I do leave a large window directed at the area I plan to shoot, just for those early morning and late eveing shots, when the light is low. You can take all the mesh down, but you lose your freedom of movement when deer are around.

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:09 am

ORIGINAL: ARROWSMITH

I love my blind.  I've shot 2 deer through it this year alone, and other than the above mentioned problem with the rages, I've had none. I can take a book, lunch and pretty much whatever else I want to the blind with me as long as it doesn't make noise or smell too much. 

I will often sit and read a book to break up the hours of bordom and I get to sit in a comfortable chair instead of sitting in my stand with a very low and uncomfortable seat height.  I have the freedom of movement even when deer are present, just as long as I'm quiet.  I don't have to buy expensive camo to be worn only during hunting season and I always have a good supply of black shirts, hats, etc in my wardrobe .

Blinds are comparable to if not cheaper than most stands (depending on what you buy of course).  I bought my stand at wally world some 5 or 6 years ago for $99, but purchased my blind from Sportmans Guide 2 years ago for $78.  The thing sets up in literally less than a minute (you'd have to be pretty good with a climber to get your butt up a tree that fast).  Mine even came with a back pack type carring case that I can (and have) shoot my bow while wearing. 

The best part about blinds is YOU CAN'T FALL OUT OF THEM.[:D]

Your are right about being able to see through some of these meshes, mine is not to bad but I do leave a large window directed at the area I plan to shoot, just for those early morning and late eveing shots, when the light is low. You can take all the mesh down, but you lose your freedom of movement when deer are around.

For me, I firmly believe there is more blind hunting in my future, for a variety of reasons. I won't use a climber, I no longer have the strength to put up a hang-on stand (I don't like sitting in them anyway), and they apparently do not make a back-packable ladder anymore. This limits me to my conventional ladderstands which once up, are inconvenient to move.
I have a cheapo pop-up blind that works. I will most likely invest in a better one by next year.

Previous

Return to Broadheads