Wolves kill Alaskan

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
scotman

RE: Wolves kill Alaskan

Postby scotman » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:04 pm

They did not say anything about a autopsy was what I was getting at.
"The deerskin rug on our study floor, the buck's head over the fireplace, what are these after all but the keys which have unlocked enchanted doors, and granted us not only health and vigor, but a fresh and fairer vision of existence" -Paul. Brandreth

berudd

Postby berudd » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:34 pm

ORIGINAL: deojee1414

I know WI has Open Carry laws, but is it legal to carry a handgun while bowhunting? I have been unable to find anything in the regs that forbid it. Just curious. Anybody know?

Very unlikely and the reason is because there would always be the excuse given "No, I am just carring my scoped 30.06 in case a wolf/bear/puma/bigfoot attacks me."

deojee1414

Postby deojee1414 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:59 pm

Very unlikely and the reason is because there would always be the excuse given "No, I am just carring my scoped 30.06 in case a wolf/bear/puma/bigfoot attacks me."

Puma? Big Foot? I'm not going huntin' with you.

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:10 pm

Very sad.[:(]
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

dewey

Postby dewey » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:55 am

ORIGINAL: hookset6969

Yea but wolves don't attack people [8|], was this debate not brought up not to long ago, So here's to all you non believers....

I vividly remember this dsicussion.  My thoughts and prayers go out to that poor girls family and friends.  What a way to go.[:(]

Dewey

�Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.�

Mahatma Gandhi

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:07 am

Very sad.

metrx

Postby metrx » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:49 am

Prayers to the family.

I'd like to bring up a few points...

Scotman brings up a valid one.  Although unlikely, police have to look into that possibility. 

As a law enforcement agent in NYC, I see victims preyed upon daily (by wolves of a different kind).  Not being aware and tuned into your surroundings can definately deter and/or help you in a situation that could arise if you are about to be attacked...if anything, giving you some extra time to react that could save your life.  I'm not saying that a person "cant live their lives" the way they want to.  It may sound as though we are prisoners in our own neighborhoods or areas we work or wherever, but keeping yourself safe is a fact of life in the world we live in, that people may take for granted.  I'm sure this girl jogging with her Ipod on put her in a "mode" with a certain degree of "tunnel vision".  Who knows, maybe she would have saw or heard them stalking her if she was more aware of her surroundings.  I bring this up to let people know that they need to pay attention to their surroundings and what's going on around them more...wherever they go.  My wife thinks I'm crazy, I carry my gun almost everywhere I go..the store, the bank, a hike in the woods or Christmas dinner at family's house.  I refuse to allow myself and my family to become a victim and will at least go down swinging.

By the way, NYS does not allow ANYONE to carry a firearm during bowseason in the woods.  It's in the fish and game bylaws and makes no exceptions...not even for law enforcement.  I asked a DEC Officer this question "hypothetically" one day when I ran into him during hunting season and he confirmed it for me.  I guess they dont want people poaching with a gun during bow season.  I dont know anyone who has ever shot a deer with a 9mm semiautomatic pistol...ridiculous if you as me. 

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:38 am

Ohio passed it's conceal and carry law a few years ago. The Div. Of Wildlife stated that they, of all departments, should support it, so they allow you to carry a handgun while hunting if you have a permit for it...but, you are not allowed to shoot wildlife with it. Personally, I would take it upon myself to defend myself with my C&C as needed.
As Metrx stated, always be aware of what is going around you. It could save you.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:22 am

That's pretty sad.  Up in the Alaskan wilderness, I'd def. be packin and NOT listening to an ipod while running.  Just too bad though...
QDM!

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:23 am

Prayers def. go out to the family and friends...Just tragic.
QDM!

PreviousNext

Return to Breaking News