North Dakota Giant dies of natural causes

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
Swandog09

North Dakota Giant dies of natural causes

Postby Swandog09 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:52 pm

Don't know if this is already on the forums or not.  If it is I am sorry for repeating.  This was sent to me by friend and I do not know any of the people involved but here is what I got as the story:

The news is out. After keeping this brute a perfect secret all throughout the season "Big Louie" was found dead by pheasant hunters on my friends neighboring property. The 250" buck was discovered by my friend Darin and his neighbor Mark. Here's the story.
[/align]

[/align]
Early season, I received a phone call from Darin, my good buddy. His voice sounded as if he had just shot a buck, so I asked him what he got. He told me that nothing was dead but to get to his place as soon as I could so he could show me something. I drove over and looked at his computer and saw the biggest buck I had ever seen on a trail camera. We sat there and talked about how he was going to hunt him, how to stay calm, how to go about the whole process of getting this buck, and how we couldn't even speak of this Monarch. From then on, Darin told me he was in bowhunting mode and would settle for nothing less than the buck that had been named "Big Louie" by Mark. All season, I heard the stories from them both and saw that no matter what they tried, it was always outsmarting them. He wouldn't be that big if he couldn't outsmart them. Darin didn't use a firearm all season. He told me that he was not going to go out and hunt during the firearms season and had to just sit around and pray that "Big Louie" would make it through. They would see him plenty during the bow season, but never in range. Later in the season, just about a week or so ago, the buck was found dead by pheasant hunters on John Grosboll's property in Petersburg . The property was right next to Darin's lease. Either way, it was a tragic way to see this monster go down. They ruled the death as natural causes. Here are some pictures.

[/align]
That's why they call it hunting and not getting

metrx

RE: North Dakota Giant dies of natural causes

Postby metrx » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:04 pm

What a buck...and what a shame.  By the looks of the trail can photo...he didnt look to have much age on him.

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:21 pm

Thats too bad he never got a poke at him.. But hey, remember Im sure he's got offspring.. He doesnt look that old,what time of year was that pic taken? and when does the season start there?
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:22 pm

That's a heck of a rack ........
Semper Fi !

Marc Anthony

Postby Marc Anthony » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:53 pm

Hey guys, that's an Illinois buck! It was found in my home state 2 years ago by some bird hunters. The bird hunters honestly returned it to the owner of the land. It came from central Illinois, near Springfield. I've seen the buck in real life.
"A fool learns from his own mistake but a wiseman learns from a fool's mistake "

Swandog09

Postby Swandog09 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:34 pm

Sorry if the story is wrong guys, the person who sent it to me I trust but, I can not confirm where he got the info from. In any case it was a hell of a deer. I had not heard this story (and I live in IL) before so I thought it was legit. Always check sources I guess. Again my apologies.
That's why they call it hunting and not getting

Marc Anthony

Postby Marc Anthony » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:20 am

ORIGINAL: Swandog09

Sorry if the story is wrong guys, the person who sent it to me I trust but, I can not confirm where he got the info from. In any case it was a hell of a deer. I had not heard this story (and I live in IL) before so I thought it was legit. Always check sources I guess. Again my apologies.

Hey, no pressure. It's tough to decipher what's true anymore. I saw the rack up close and it's a real giant! It's too bad some one never harvested that buck!
"A fool learns from his own mistake but a wiseman learns from a fool's mistake "

SwampLife

Postby SwampLife » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:02 am

bucks like that seem so unreal to me... a Florida boy...=(

he really doesnt even look fully mature (imo) which makes him even more impressive.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.

bowman12

Postby bowman12 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:06 am

I got the email a while ago also stating it was from ND. It's good to know the true history.
What an awesome animal though, whitetails never cease to amaze!

Savage

Postby Savage » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:43 am

What a RACK, he didn't look very mature from the trail pic.
Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me,

Genesis 27:3

Next

Return to Breaking News